1984 chevy k5 battery drain

in my '84 chevy k5 blazer my battery keeps dying it happens within a few hours.i dont need a key to start it but no lights stay on when its not running. the alternator is shot but it still started when i was driving it the voltometer went all the way to the right like it was putting out too many volts.now it only cranks healthy but wont start.i was thinking maybe the bad alt put out too many volts an fried the distributor cap or the plugs or something..i don know what is going on but any help is appreciated

damn it happened to two of my batteries i didnt know thats what could ruin them...well that covers the draining issue but why wont it start.its like its not getting any spark.

awesome step side by the way!! :chevrolet:

on start-up your power comes from your battery to the distributor (dizzy). alternator only charges the battery, once started your distributor will produce the power for spark.

im not sure yet if its getting spark but would the bad alt do somthing that could keep it from starting

got an alt from the wrecking yard but its from an 84 s10 blazer with a 2.8 motor will it still work? it looks identical to my original

Look up the part number for your truck and the s10 donor and see if they are the same. Not sure if the connections are all the same. Plus the amperage rating may be different between the two.

if it bots in and the plug fits and your blazer doesn't have a ton of electric option(windows seat a/c) should be okay hopefully you got one that charges okay

got an alt from the wrecking yard but its from an 84 s10 blazer with a 2.8 motor will it still work? it looks identical to my original

took the s10 alt back saw an'87 k5 blazer with a serpetine belt style alt took it swapped pulleys.the 87 had elec windows a/c and the alt had the same hook ups.took it into autozone to get it tested passed so it should work.

thx for the info :chevrolet:

you should pick up a new battery or find a good one at the wreckers

took the s10 alt back saw an'87 k5 blazer with a serpetine belt style alt took it swapped pulleys.the 87 had elec windows a/c and the alt had the same hook ups.took it into autozone to get it tested passed so it should work.

thx for the info :chevrolet:

Archived