battery goes dead too easy!!

Me too! I went to Advance Auto parts all ready to buy a new battery and after checking it, they assured me my battery was fine. The 1st time, I had been working on the stereo but ran very little battery yet it died quickly. The 2nd time was at Discount tire getting a new TPMS and rotate. In that short time, my battery was dead again! This time I went to sears to buy a Diehard and again they checked it and it checked out fine. Is this normal? I do not want this to happen when I am out in the middle of nowhere. I was going to buy either diehard or Optima. My concern is do these trucks draw a lot from the battery when the ignition is on or what could cause this?

I'll second the Duralast batteries, I have had nothing but great service from them. I used to go with only AC/Delco batteries until the side post leaking fiasco about 1998 and switched to Duralast batteries since.

And yes I know there are only a few battery manufacturers today. I had a Duralast that somebody else ruined by running it dead many times and I just wanted to use it as core on a new battery purchase. They checked the date code and replaced it.

Go with an Optima. Part # R34-980

I have an Optima red top and it fits perfect in my Sierra. It comes with adapters so it'll fit in our oddball-size battery tray.

I got the same one too and have no issues and the Tahoe cranks over strong even in the cold WI weather.

Only saw the red for sale for my truck?

thats weird. i checked through them and you have to go back to a 2007 gmt900 for them to offer a yellow top, but the newer ones dont (all the gmt800s do to). what could have really changed? i honestly dont see what the difference would be (maybe someone else does?). so long as its 12v with enough cranking amps and it fits properly i didnt think it mattered.

and here's the difference between the two from Optima:

RedTop: High-CCA starting battery. Provides engine cranking power for vehicles with stock or average electrical loads.

YellowTop: Dual-purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Provides engine starting power plus deep cycle capacity to support multiple accessories , demanding electrical systems , and vehicles without alternators.

mine was doing the same thing. yes, it tested good. yes, it would start the truck. but, if you listened to the radio for 10 minutes it would drain. i am not a fan of being stranded. i got the duralast gold for my truck, and have no complaints on it.

Archived