flip out radio screen fitment questions

I want to install a touch screen in my 99 sierra(old body style). I dont have alot of $$, and need to install a complete system. I like the single DIN radio with the flip out screen's, but I have heard these may hit the shifter in the 2000 body styles. Will it hit on the 88-98 body? I am looking at 7" screens. I have also found some that flip down instead of up, but these look like they would cover the HVAC controls. Anyone have any experince with these? I would be up for installing a double din monitor if its minor trimming and fitment issue's, anyone done a double din converison? I have googled these questions, and cannot find any answers, plese help

I want to install a touch screen in my 99 sierra(old body style). I dont have alot of $$, and need to install a complete system. I like the single DIN radio with the flip out screen's, but I have heard these may hit the shifter in the 2000 body styles. Will it hit on the 88-98 body? I am looking at 7" screens. I have also found some that flip down instead of up, but these look like they would cover the HVAC controls. Anyone have any experince with these? I would be up for installing a double din monitor if its minor trimming and fitment issue's, anyone done a double din converison? I have googled these questions, and cannot find any answers, plese help

I think you'll have the same problem on the older body styles, but it's a really easy fix: take the covers off the steering column, then pull the Torx T-20 that holds the shifter handle in and unplug the harness that's attached to it (if you have one).

Use a vise and insert the end that the Torx bolt goes through into the jaws and clamp down hard. CAREFULLY bend the handle up about 2-3" at the end (it will bend pretty easy, but you have to be careful not to go too far).

Test fit back into the shifter receptacle and try running your screen out to make sure it clears, then bolt it all back together.

Great! then I will get one and do as you said. am I trying to bend the T20 end or the handle end?

The T20 end. It's made out of much softer metal than you would think, so although it will take some force to get moving, it actually bends fairly easily. What you do want to do though is rig up some sort of stop so if the get it moving, it doesn't go too far and snap off the handle.

You really only have to get the end to move 2-3", so it really isn't that big of a deal - I could never understand why some guys on Ebay were charging $75 (!) to swap pre-bent handles to guys that didn't want to do it themselves...

Archived