Anti rust treatment...

Hi all,

So I've heard that there is this option GM offers that is kind of a factory-applied body antirust coating.

First, is this true ? Secondly, I don't know if my truck has it, if it does, can having an aftermarket antirust sprayed on damage anything ?

Thx.

The GM dealers where i am from all offer this "diamond coat" that they spray on. It is supposed to help keep the colour from dulling and prevent rust spots, protects from acidic rain and i noticed that tree sap, bug juice and road tar is a lot easer to clean off.

most vehicles produced today are dipped in a sealer to help prevent rust... does GM use it on the trucks, i do not know. but i do know they use it on Camaros. they wouldn't offer a 6 year/100,000 mile rust warranty for no reason.

that diamond coat stuff dealers sell is just a sealant. its basically a wax that bonds to the paint for longer lasting protection. same type of thing as Adam's Machine Super Sealant or Quick Sealant, or any other sealant sold in the aftermarket that you can do yourself.

most vehicles produced today are dipped in a sealer to help prevent rust... does GM use it on the trucks, i do not know. but i do know they use it on Camaros. they wouldn't offer a 6 year/100,000 mile rust warranty for no reason.

that diamond coat stuff dealers sell is just a sealant. its basically a wax that bonds to the paint for longer lasting protection. same type of thing as Adam's Machine Super Sealant or Quick Sealant, or any other sealant sold in the aftermarket that you can do yourself.

The problem with Adam's is it doesn't last more than a couple of months, where as most other last a lot longer.

The GM dealers where i am from all offer this "diamond coat" that they spray on. It is supposed to help keep the colour from dulling and prevent rust spots, protects from acidic rain and i noticed that tree sap, bug juice and road tar is a lot easer to clean off.

Around here, it's called, "Cilajet", an aircraft grade paint sealant that when applied to a new finish, is guaranteed for ten years. That includes a free reapplication at the five year mark.

As far as putting rust protectant/sealer on a frame that already shows rust, I've always been told it will seal in existing rust, even if removed from the surface, and allow it to fester undetected under the sealer.

The problem with Adam's is it doesn't last more than a couple of months, where as most other last a lot longer.

what are you thinking only lasts a couple months? their wax or their sealant? have you physically used their sealant? i've had one coat of Machine Super Sealant on my truck for nearly a year now and the water still beads like i applied it yesterday. i put americana wax on my wife's car and one coat lasted 6 months (its garage kept). the new quick sealant, one adam's forum member tested the prototype and it has held up since october so far.

i'd just like to know where your getting your information from... a lot of other factors also play a role such as how you wash the car, if you go to a full/self service wash or wash it yourself. and if you wash it yourself, what kind of soap are you using?

Every panel on my '99 Sierra has severe rust. The cab corners have completely fallen off, rocker panels are in pieces and fender wells are full of rust perforations. Whatever they can do to stop the rust will be OK by me, but it shouldn't be an extra cost option.

Around here, it's called, "Cilajet", an aircraft grade paint sealant that when applied to a new finish, is guaranteed for ten years. That includes a free reapplication at the five year mark.

As far as putting rust protectant/sealer on a frame that already shows rust, I've always been told it will seal in existing rust, even if removed from the surface, and allow it to fester undetected under the sealer.

where are you getting that info from, your salesman? cilajet's webpage says it will last up to 5 years, i can't see anywhere it states 10. or how long their warranty is.

for the average joe, this would be good, but not at the cost that some dealers charge for it. just google "cilajet" and read the reviews on it. i found one where a guy says his dealerships cost for the coating is $50, and many dealers try and sell it for $500+

the reason i won't fall for it is because the dealership is most likely applying this stuff on top of swirls that they put on the paint from running it through their car wash. in order to properly correct the paint, this coating would have to be stripped off so that a machine polisher can do its job. that and the price i paid for a PC 7424XP, adam's grey pad, and a bottle of Machine Super Sealant is half the cost of one coating the dealer would charge me. and i can use that bottle on A BUNCH of cars before i have to get another one!

All that is is a sealer, just like you could put on yourself at a much cheaper price. This is a gimmick by dealers to rack in an extra few hundred dollars.

Archived