tire size and MPG

bubba827

i changed from my 245 tires that came on my 2007 sierra GMC truck with 265.....I was wondering if that small change in tire size would affect my gas mileage from 22 on the highway down to 17....is there a chip change i can do to improve on this mileage/....Thanks in advance

Yep for 2 reasons. 1, because the larger tire is heavier and 2, because your computer isn't adjusted for the correct tire size. Your mileage may not have dropped as much as you think since the computers not reading right.

Almost any handheld programmer will adjust for tire size and if your interested in some sort of programmer, I highly suggest Autocal with Blackbear performance tune :thumbs:

And welcome to the site.

I did thesame thing with my tires going from 245 to 265. But my gps was alway off by 2-3 km/h before. Now it seems like its bang on with my speedo. I don't think it's a big enough size increase to really throw it off.

I did thesame thing with my tires going from 245 to 265. But my gps was alway off by 2-3 km/h before. Now it seems like its bang on with my speedo. I don't think it's a big enough size increase to really throw it off.

It was more than likely your speedometer that was off not the gps.

Mark

It was more than likely your speedometer that was off not the gps.

Mark

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Hey guys I just put 285/70/17 LTX M&S 2's and CenterLine wheels on my 2011 5.3, 6 speed auto with 3.42's I added the new inTune with the MPG tune. Before I was averaging 13 to 15 around town and now I'm doing 16 to 17, I was really impressed with that.

Archived