Changing headlight on my Sierra

Well I noticed last night that my drivers side headlight has burned out at 44,000 miles. Supposedly these are a bitch to change so that will be fun. I was just going to go to Autozone / O'Reilly's and pick one up, but then noticed mostly they sell Silverstar / Sylvania.

So am I going to have to buy 2 new bulbs so each side will match? Then my high beams will be different than lows. Any suggestions on which I should pick? I need something tomorrow and have to take whats at the stores here.

I was going to change my bulbs in my truck and after doing some looking at it I said forget it. Wait til you see what you have to do just to get to the stupid bulb. One of the worst designs I've seen. I don't know sure but I'll bet if you brought the truck into the dealer for a bulb change it woiuld cost about 60-60 dollars in labor only....

Let me know if you were able to do this without taking off the grille, heck I read somewhere that you need to take off the facia from the front bumper it was unreal...

I have small hands and you can take the air intake box off and get to it that way on the passenger side, and you can slide your hand behind the windshield washer fluid to get to the driver's side. That way you don't have to take half the grille off. Here is a very helpful video I found.

I just need to know if I can buy a bulb that will look like my stockers, which is fine with me, or if I'm going to have to buy 2 new bulbs so they will match.

Meh, its a moot point now anyways. I need something I can stick in this dude tomorrow.

Same issue here. I bought the ZXEs and bought all 4 so everything would match. I did so because all my "research" showed many people liking the color tint and brightness but warning that they were unique and not likely to match many OEM bulbs. I needed the info quickly so I just searched Google. As you can see here, almost every question you ask will net you dozens of responses asking WHY you asked the question and GUESSING why you want such info and OFFERING tons of unsolicited advice on how to better accomplish what they think you might really be doing instead of what you actually asked. The ZXEs look good but not close to the Silverstars they were replacing in mine. If that's important to you, you might want a different model. Or plan to do all 4 as time and money allow but you'll have to live with a mismatch in the interim. Good luck either way.

So apparently they have made it harder to change the bulbs on the newer trucks. I don't suppose anybody read their owners manuals to see how to do it? I know it looked like a nightmare to change my old ones til I read my manual and found out how easy it was! :lol:

This is a incorrect statement. HIDs do require projector housings for proper light distribution and the safety of oncoming drivers.

HIDs are fine as long as they are properly aimed. HIDs don't have to be in projectors to properly send light down the roadway....

Well went to Autozone today to get some replacement bulbs. I bought 2 because I figured I would have to do both sides to make them match. Now I have a small hand, and I could barely get my hand in the spot to twist the old light out. I fussed, and cussed, and sweated, and swore up and down that by the grace of God that the light was going to be changed.

Finally after contorting my hand into positions unknown to mankind I finally got it out and the new one in without touching the bulb. So I decided to test out the light, and see if it was all that different before attempting to change the passenger side. Lo and behold it was the same! I looked at the extra new light, and the old one and its the same exact one! Eureka! So now I have a spare for whenever the passenger side decides to blow.

Here is the light by the way. Matches OEM exactly.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Xtravision-Headlight/2009-GMC-Sierra-1500-4WD/_/N-jvm9vZ9ci8c?itemIdentifier=546597_0_0_8549

Guy at work had his pass side light go out. I told him they were a real pain in the butt to change and he said he'd take it to the dealer. When I saw he had it fixed I asked how much and he told me $60 total with bulb and oil change included. I told him he got a good deal for that price.

So apparently they have made it harder to change the bulbs on the newer trucks. I don't suppose anybody read their owners manuals to see how to do it? I know it looked like a nightmare to change my old ones til I read my manual and found out how easy it was! :lol:
So I guess nobody is gonna answer me or they are too embarassed to say they didn't look? :dunno:

Archived