new drive belts when upgrading alternator?

GMT800 99 Sierra 1500 5.3L V8, auto trans, a/c

I'm upgrading the factory alternator (~100 amps) to a professionally rebuilt alt (275 amps). I'm doing the "big 3" myself, have 4-gauge marine-grade wires, fuse box, and other stuff arriving soon. One last thing: the accessory drive belts. One is for a/c and the other is for everything else: power steering, water pump, alternator, etc. Since I'll be removing the belts, this is a good time to look at new ones.

The main accessory belt I have is slightly discolored, probably just dusty. I'm not sure how to check for wear but the the "tracks" look consistent: no cracking, chips, gouges. I haven't noticed any problems while driving or idling. One thing I did read is that a more powerful alternator puts more wear on the belt. I wonder if there are good aftermarket belts that are more durable without a huge price premium...

So, should the belts be replaced and if so what brand/type do you recommend? What prices I should expect to pay?

How many years and miles does the current belt have on it?

I never had any luck with aftermarket belts, just buy the GM belt. You might want to replace your tensioner also depending on miles.

The truck was bought used with 79,000 miles, not sure if/when the belt was replaced. So assuming this is the original belt, you think it will be fine up to what point? I drive conservatively and based on the vehicle's condition I doubt the engine was abused by previous owners.

I located a new pair of gatorbacks for $38 shipped. Models are:

4040377 - 4-rib, 37.75"

4060930 - 6-rib, 93.00"

Is this a worthwhile purchase? Has anyone had problems with these belts?

Since you don't know the age of the belts, I would replace them. Can't comment on the gatorbacks.

Store the old belts somewhere in your truck and then if you lose a belt you are covered in an emergency.

Thanks, one thing I found by searching for belts is that various part locators give different lengths.

92.32" - V8 w/ air conditioning and 105 amp alternator

93.00" - V8 w/ air conditioning and 130 amp alternator

Option codes for the some stock amps are:

K68 - 105 amp

KG8 - 130 amp

KG3 - 145 amp

So my belt length is 92.32" assuming the truck still has the stock alternator.

How do I determine what belt length the new alternator requires? It says bolt-on replacement, no other parts needed, but I don't see how it can work with two different belt lengths. It includes a pulley. I suppose if I line up the new pulley with the old one I should be able to tell if it needs a larger belt...

More confusion...this time with a/c belt sizes.

O'Reilly's says 38.5"

Summit Racing says 37.75"

Not to be outdone, Car Stuff lists both 38.5" and 37.75" belts for my truck.

EDIT: Ha! it couldn't be easier. My belt part numbers are 4PK960 and 6PK2345. 960 mm = 37.8" and 2345 mm = 92.3".

Archived