Looking at buying a 2004 GMC Canyon, any issues?

Check the recall list, i know on my dads 05 Colorado they had a brake light wiring issue that he got fixed. Other than that those little trucks are still gas hogs, about as comparable to a full size

Check the recall list, i know on my dads 05 Colorado they had a brake light wiring issue that he got fixed. Other than that those little trucks are still gas hogs, about as comparable to a full size

well comparable as in fuel but payload and towing capacity they are not but their is still a need for them . People might like the smaller truck for little camp out trips and to haul lighter loads and their a little easier to drive. I would prefer one over a jeep .

They have a forum dedicated to the Colorado and canyon on a different site. It might be more useful than this one for your truck.

My 2010 Colorado 4x4 with 4 cylinder gets a tad better gas mileage then a full size truck.

• 2 weeks later...

have a buddy that had an 08...and it was problematic...had 17k on it and already needed a new throttle body, it also had bad warm starting issues, it would act like it was starved of gas randomly...brakes are also a nightmare to do on them...the s-10 was a better toy truck by far

• 3 weeks later...

I had 2 Colorados with the i5. As far as fuel mileage, it was way better than my Sierra. I drive 80 miles a day to and from work, I would say 75% hwy, 25% city driving and I would routinely get 23-24 mpgs. With the Sierra I get 16-17 mpgs with the same driving conditions. The 04', 05', and some 06' trucks had a valve seat issue that GM did a recall on and extended the warranty to 100k miles on the heads. The brake light switch was a real pain in the butt. I had 3 of those changed on 1 truck and then I changed all of the rear lights to LEDs and never had another problem. Another problem I had with both trucks, and it's pretty common for the 355 platform, is the PassLock security would activate randomly and I would have to wait 10 minutes for it to reset so I could start the truck. I brought it to the dealer multiple times and they ould reproduce the issue so they couldn't fix it. Then one day I was at the dealer and it did it so they replaced the ignition switch and it worked for about 2 weeks and started doing it again. I put about 150k miles on my last one and I never had any mechanical issues, just those little bugs.

• 3 months later...

I had two 2004 Canyons with the I5. Really liked them. Bought both new. Over 5 years, one got a new O2 sensor, other one needed a new ignition switch. Changed tires on both as soon I bought them. the General tires they came with sucked! They do use a lot of fuel, though. about the same as my 08 Sierra 5.3L. They really drink up the gas when towing, maybe more than the Sierra.

I had one with the I4,and a manual transmission 4x4,it ate gas my current 5.3l gets better milage,and had absolutly no power,had to shift that thing all the time on the hwy.I had many issues with mine from day one,I personally would not own another.

Archived