1500 with 6.2 or 2500 Duramax 6.6?

So has anyone lined up a 6.2 and a duramax yet?..I'm sure if both are bone stock and no load that the 6.2 would kill the diesel ..but the duramax will out tow the gasser every time. I have drove a couple of duramax trucks and wasn't that impressed when I pushed the loud pedal to the floor..I'm sure a tune would change that :)

A tune will definitely change that.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming! Not sure If I like the plastic insert in new hood. Anyone know what was changed engine wise for the increased HP and torque in 11 and 12 models?

Had about the same decision to make and I went with a leftover 11 6.2.With Rebates you can buy a leftover 6.2 for what a clean NBS Duramax will cost you.In our area used trucks are high enough that with some shopping a new truck is a much better deal.My Dad has a 2009 DMax LTZ which I love but for everyday driving the 6.2 is a no brainer....... Better Ride,Better handling,equal fuel economy on cheaper fuel and a heck of a lot cheaper to maintain if you plan on keeping it for a long time.The Small Block Chevy is so easy to tinker on....... Do a DMax Waterpump job once and you'll see the DMax is not so Mechanic friendly !The 6.2 will never out tow a DMax but if towing isn't a everyday thing for you it'll be fine,look at the HP/TQ numbers.I just added AirLift Air bags and Smart Air system to mine and with 3.73 gears and the NHT/Max Trailer pack it should do good.My 05 5.3 with 4.11 gears towed awesome for a 1/2 ton at what 320 hp?

Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming! Not sure If I like the plastic insert in new hood. Anyone know what was changed engine wise for the increased HP and torque in 11 and 12 models?

added urea injection and im sure tweaked electronics, i'm sure there more specifics somewhere but urea injection is the biggest change.

It all depends on what you want and need. I bought a diesel to pull my 5th wheel...sold it after a year, as I simply hated it. Maintenance was a PITA and expensive compared to any gas vehicle I every owned. The mpg was never great, and the fuel cost was higher than gas. I know some folks just love diesels, and I appreciate that....they just are not for me.

I sold the diesel and bought a 3/4 Silverado with the 6.0L....with 4.10 gears, I ALWAYS got 11 mpg, loaded or not, and it was barely able to pull the 5th wheel...NOW I know why the diesel is superb for towing heavy loads. I really doubt the 6.2 would be that much better, though somewhat I suppose.

We opted to park the 5th wheel in a permanent camp ground, and I could not wait to sell the 3/4 because I hated the ride. It is made to work, and it was awful (for me) as a daily driver.

I swapped it for an Escalade with another 6.0, but with street gears I get 16-19 mpg, it rides great, has the tow package and I have a 5x10 trailer with a 3000 pound axle that it pulls easily. It is the perfect daily driver (for me) built on the 1/2 Chevy truck frame, goes anywhere with AWD, holds an enormous amount of "stuff" especially with the rear seats down, and seems bullet proof just like any GMC truck.

I got a deal on the Escalade for father's day last year from my son who worked at a Caddy dealership (otherwise I could not afford it)....so, when it finally goes, I probably will be looking for another big SUV....Tahoe, Surburban, etc....works for me.

No more diesels, no more 3/4 ton's -- just a very nice truck

The biggest differance is the ride and handling of the 2 trucks.I recently switched from a 08 1500EC 5.3 4:10 to an 11 Duramax CC LT.It took me about 2K miles to get used to the big truck.Around town its a lot of truck .The half ton gasser was much more friendly around town with stop and go driving.The Duramax shines pulling and on the HWY.There is no way my 5.3 gasser would beat out a new duramax on HWY fuel economy.In town it s a wash,Maintainance is a few bucks more.The Shell rotella non syn is about the same price as 5 l of syn for my gasser.Oil filters are $7 at napa.DEF fluid is $12 for 2.5 gal every oil change,big deal.Now for real world power when I press the acc pedal down to pass on the HWY @60mph if the road is wet the Duramax will break the tires loose,dry blink once and your doing 80mph.Its the most powerfull vehicle I have ever owned.I don't really need the Duramax but wanted a 6.5" CC truck as was not willing to shell out for F150 with the lousy fuel mileage of the ecoboost.That said there is no way a 6.2 gasser is going to beat a duramax in fuel economy.If your strictly driving around town not towing get the 6.2

The biggest differance is the ride and handling of the 2 trucks.I recently switched from a 08 1500EC 5.3 4:10 to an 11 Duramax CC LT.It took me about 2K miles to get used to the big truck.Around town its a lot of truck .The half ton gasser was much more friendly around town with stop and go driving.The Duramax shines pulling and on the HWY.There is no way my 5.3 gasser would beat out a new duramax on HWY fuel economy.In town it s a wash,Maintainance is a few bucks more.The Shell rotella non syn is about the same price as 5 l of syn for my gasser.Oil filters are $7 at napa.DEF fluid is $12 for 2.5 gal every oil change,big deal.Now for real world power when I press the acc pedal down to pass on the HWY @60mph if the road is wet the Duramax will break the tires loose,dry blink once and your doing 80mph.Its the most powerfull vehicle I have ever owned.I don't really need the Duramax but wanted a 6.5" CC truck as was not willing to shell out for F150 with the lousy fuel mileage of the ecoboost.That said there is no way a 6.2 gasser is going to beat a duramax in fuel economy.If your strictly driving around town not towing get the 6.2

Depends what you are towing,there are plenty of lite weight Campers out there that a 1/2 ton will tow with ease,especially a 400 HP half ton. If I was towing frequently, a DMax is a great choice,even towing every Weekend a 6.2 is not a bad choice unless you're towing 7000lbs +. I feel GM is missing a huge market not having a 8.1 type engine right now with Diesel Fuel so high. I bought a 1500 6.2 instead of a 6.0 2500 because I didn't feel the towing capacity gained was worth the MPG lost and HP lost.Had a 8.1 been available still i'd had went to a 2500.I don't need a DMax or the extra cost so I went with a loaded 1500 instead. Guess we should be happy with the choices we have !

Saw a 2011 chevy duramax ltz with 17k for $35k, which I thought was a good buy. Would have no problem with paying that and getting a virtually new truck. Add a little for urea delete + tuner, I'd be a happy guy. Everyone I know who has had a dmax has loved it. Ride isn't really bad, I drove an 05 that rode about like my half ton. Changing oil in diesels is a fact of life for farm people. IMO it's worth it, the engine will last. I don't mind having to put a lot in a truck, still less than a tractor takes. :lol:

Saw a 2011 chevy duramax ltz with 17k for $35k, which I thought was a good buy.

Crew cab 4x4? If so, that's way cheaper than anything I've seen here. In fact, a local guy recently put his '06 dmax crew 4x4 LT up for sale with ~10k miles for $30k. Sold in 1 day, but I don't know the final price.

Edit: To the OP: I don't see comparing a HD dmax with a 1500 6.2. They're very different trucks, imho, and are designed for very different purposes. But... that's my opinion, and has nothing to do with "want" :)

If you are not towing a lot of weight on a regular basis it has been a time proven FACT that a diesel pickup is a waste of money over a gas pickup.

6.2 vs 6.6 stock drag race, bub bye d-max but then again, who cares?

EVERYTHING minus the cab and box sheetmetal and interior is different between an '11 and newer GM HD truck and their prior years. The engine is different, totally, the frame, suspension and brakes are different, totall, the drivetrain is different, totally. NOTHING under the cab is the same as a 2010 and older. The '11 and newer HD is a REAL HD truck, hands down, period, end of story.

Diesel maintenance is FOR REAL and TWICE that of a gas engine which I can't see as nothing to worry about, myself.

Diesel engines typically do last longer, yes.

The price of Diesel fuel is greater, yes. Don't forget to add in the price of DEF as well, to that.

Initial cost of a Diesel is higher, yes.

Resale value of a Diesel is better, yes. (minus the Ford Powerjoke 6.0l debacle)

Even with all of that said, again, that just proves what I originally said, if you don't tow heavy loads on a regular basis, you don't need a diesel, imo.

Saw a 2011 chevy duramax ltz with 17k for $35k, which I thought was a good buy.

Crew cab 4x4? If so, that's way cheaper than anything I've seen here. In fact, a local guy recently put his '06 dmax crew 4x4 LT up for sale with ~10k miles for $30k. Sold in 1 day, but I don't know the final price.

Edit: To the OP: I don't see comparing a HD dmax with a 1500 6.2. They're very different trucks, imho, and are designed for very different purposes. But... that's my opinion, and has nothing to do with "want" :)

It was an extended cab 4x4 with Z71 pkg. I'm wierd I prefer ext cab. I was really surprised at the price as well.

When we were hunting for my truck I saw an 06 dmax with 70k for $30k. Amazing how some of them have held their value.

I can't imagine someone being disappointed with a Duramax.

If you are not towing a lot of weight on a regular basis it has been a time proven FACT that a diesel pickup is a waste of money over a gas pickup.

6.2 vs 6.6 stock drag race, bub bye d-max but then again, who cares?

EVERYTHING minus the cab and box sheetmetal and interior is different between an '11 and newer GM HD truck and their prior years. The engine is different, totally, the frame, suspension and brakes are different, totall, the drivetrain is different, totally. NOTHING under the cab is the same as a 2010 and older. The '11 and newer HD is a REAL HD truck, hands down, period, end of story.

Diesel maintenance is FOR REAL and TWICE that of a gas engine which I can't see as nothing to worry about, myself.

Diesel engines typically do last longer, yes.

The price of Diesel fuel is greater, yes. Don't forget to add in the price of DEF as well, to that.

Initial cost of a Diesel is higher, yes.

Resale value of a Diesel is better, yes. (minus the Ford Powerjoke 6.0l debacle)

Even with all of that said, again, that just proves what I originally said, if you don't tow heavy loads on a regular basis, you don't need a diesel, imo.

Wow, I didnt realize all that changed? Is it really that much better of a truck for 2011? I thought with the incresased HP / Torque, they just did a tune since you can tune the 07-10 and get 130hp & 260 Torque. I thought about saving more and waiting for the 2014 truck release but am not sure if I want a first year and will like the aggressive styling everyone is going to.

I thought I was sold on a 6.2 half ton but after reading duramax's getting 19 - 22 highway mpg and the used prices of the trucks about the same, i thought why not go big?

Trucks I have driven and are in family - 2008 Powerstroke with tune, 2005 Dodge 5.9 Cummings 3500 with tune, 97 chevy 5.7 Gas. I am aware of the ride differences between diesel and gas. The turbo will definately put a smile on your face! I am a Chevy / GMC guy so that narrowed my choice to these two trucks.

Truck would mostly be a weekly driver and family trips. Rarely towing. I've always wanted a nice new truck. I keep vehicles forever!

I am used to seeing 1500 crew cabs and I saw a 2500HD crew cab standard bed today. I thought, Holy $hit that thing is a big bastard! But when you look at the dimensions there is only a 10in difference. Why the hell do the specs list "Length Overall w/o rear bumper? what does the rear bumper add 2 - 3 inches? I doubt either will fit in my garage. Are they selling trucks without rear bumpers? ;-)

LENGTH

1500 Crew Cab short box 230.2in or 19.19FT

2500 Crew Cab std box 240.2in or 20.01FT

CURB WEIGHT

1500 Crew Cab short box 5377 lbs payload 1623

2500 Crew Cab std box 7294 lbs payload 2706

Archived