Rear gear questions

I have a 05 rcsb silverado 4.3l 5spd with the G80 2wd.

I would like to rear gear to a gear ratio with a little more power at slower speeds . I think my First gear and Reverse is a little fast and have to feather the clutch alot on small movements . I believe I have 3.23 gear ratio . I would like 3.73 .

How much would this cost around ?

and I am like clueless how it works like do I get to keep my G80 ??

where can i get this installed ? I dont know where to go besides a dealer and there expensive I bet.

4.10's and if your paying for some one to install, your looking at about $500-$600 (includes master rebuild kit, gears, and labor). You'll also need to reprogram your PCM for the gear update.

Yes you can keep the G80. IMO switching from 3.23s to 3.73s is not worth it...I'd do at least 4.10s

Its going to cost you about 250-300 for gears and master install kit, plus another 500 in labor. Look for gear/offroad/tranny shops around you...they should be able to do it

+1 on that with a manual transmission, also look into getting the gears "cryod" for extra strength. This should be available from the rearend shop you purchase the gears from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_treatment

So why the 4.10s I do mostly highway driving and was thinking 3.73s would be good enough but like I said I dont really know what I am talking about. I do have a 5spd manual transmission dont know if that makes a difference with the gear ratio comparing it to the 4 speeds auto on what I want to have.

Also the PCM thing how much does that cost to reprogram and why do I need to do that ?

So far guys thanks for the info but more is the better .

what is a master rebuild kit ?

or master install kit

This is what i currently have

3.23 gear ratio

NV3500

5speed manual

1st 4.02

2nd 2.32

3rd 1.40

4th 1.00

5th 0.73

R 3.55

I am not really sure what that means by the way . Just writing information that might help someone that can use his knowledge to help me .

Every truck I've had had 4.10 gears in it... they are better than you think in my opinion. The 4.10's will get you more power off the line, and still have a decent cruising rpm. My last truck with 4.10 gears turned about 2100 rpm at 65 mph... The 4-speeds final gear ratio would closely match your current 5-speed. Having had the 4.10 gears with the 4-speed I believe you'd still be able to get decent fuel mileage because your engine won't have to work as hard to maintain speed.

As a comparison

4L60e trans

1st 3.06, 2nd 1.75, 3rd 1.00, 4th 0.70.

NV3500 - 5speed manual

1st 4.02, 2nd 2.32, 3rd 1.40, 4th 1.00, 5th 0.73

If your going to spend the money on a gear swap, make it count :thumbs:

Every truck I've had had 4.10 gears in it... they are better than you think in my opinion. The 4.10's will get you more power off the line, and still have a decent cruising rpm. My last truck with 4.10 gears turned about 2100 rpm at 65 mph... The 4-speeds final gear ratio would closely match your current 5-speed. Having had the 4.10 gears with the 4-speed I believe you'd still be able to get decent fuel mileage because your engine won't have to work as hard to maintain speed.

As a comparison

4L60e trans

1st 3.06, 2nd 1.75, 3rd 1.00, 4th 0.70.

NV3500 - 5speed manual

1st 4.02, 2nd 2.32, 3rd 1.40, 4th 1.00, 5th 0.73

If your going to spend the money on a gear swap, make it count :thumbs:

at about 69 miles or 111km I am about 2000 rpm or just under 2000 rpm

next time I am on the highway I will take note at what my rpms are for 110 km to 120 km .

I was figuring you at about 1800-1900 so the gear swap should put you closer to 2100-2200 rpm at 65-68 mph. but take less power to maintain speed yielding similar mileage in the end.

Thank you . You have been really helpful in understanding this process. If anyone disagrees with steven i would like to hear it and your reason why . A other opinion is always good but if steven is dead on the money that is cool :)

I would plan on doing this after the next fishing season when I have some spending money again. So their is lots of time to learn what the best set up is for this little truck .

oh I have a question I never really understood. How does your vehicle use gas. I always thought it was just based on RPMs but reading stevens suggestions that is not so.

I would love if someone would explain how it works ? What do you mean by less power to maintain speed . Like less gas pedal to maintain speed ?

Sorry for all these questions but I joined this site to learn .

oh I have a question I never really understood. How does your vehicle use gas. I always thought it was just based on RPMs but reading stevens suggestions that is not so.

I would love if someone would explain how it works ? What do you mean by less power to maintain speed . Like less gas pedal to maintain speed ?

Sorry for all these questions but I joined this site to learn .

More Torque, less energy is how it works. :thumbs:

Here's something you can use to your advantage. Driving in 4th gear 1:1 gear ratio. You can get your current RPM, then compare it to your RPM and see where exactly on the chart your truck will be with 4.10 gears :thumbs:

http://sierrabronco....reGearRatio.htm

I like this but dont understand . So in 4th gear I drive 65 miles a hour then look at my RPM . write it down on a piece of paper.

Go to the chart you gave me . Find my tire size and then ........ I am not sure . (I wish the light bulb was going in my brain right now)

Archived