NEED MORE HP! 2000 Silverado Z71 5.3

Hi, I have a 2000 Silverado Z71 with a 5.3. I want to increase horsepower as much as possible with bolts ons etc. I have a Flowmaster 44 and a Spectra Intake installed. I also have a Hypertech programmer on the way. The following are modifications I (think) want to do but need guidance with. I have about $2,000 to spend on truck. It would be nice to supercharge it but that would most likely be to expensive. These mods don't seem to radical and I want better gas mileage ..... but I don't mind sacrificing it for more HP :D .

1.)Airaid Throttle body spacer

2.)Hypertech Programmer

3.)Maradyne Electric fan- (Do not know which size to get. Maybe 12" ?) (Also do not know about wiring issue and communicating with ECU)

4.)MAF sensor (maybe Jet or Granatelli)

5.)SLP underdrive balancer pulley

6.) Altenator overdrive pulley

7.)Dayco 5060882 or 88.2 Eq serpentine belt

8.)Dayco 5040345 or 34.5 accer belt

9.) 160 degree summit thermostat

No Idea for the following:

10.)Increase/ replace throttle body

11.) Performance intake manifold

12.)Performance coil pack (MSD)

13.) Wires and plugs (which ones are the best for performance ?!?!?!?)

ANY OTHER IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT !

No throttle body spacer, no hypertech, a custom tune would be way better than a cann tune, electriic fan will slighty increase performance, do not get that thermostat, stay stock unless you want to run in open loop all the time. Go for stuff like headers with custom exhaust and a custom tune. You could do a cam swap but then you would likely have to swap internals and the torque converter etc, also could go bigger gears.

Hi, I have a 2000 Silverado Z71 with a 5.3. I want to increase horsepower as much as possible with bolts ons etc. I have a Flowmaster 44 and a Spectra Intake installed. I also have a Hypertech programmer on the way. The following are modifications I (think) want to do but need guidance with. I have about $2,000 to spend on truck. It would be nice to supercharge it but that would most likely be to expensive. These mods don't seem to radical and I want better gas mileage ..... but I don't mind sacrificing it for more HP :D .

1.)Airaid Throttle body spacer

2.)Hypertech Programmer

3.)Maradyne Electric fan- (Do not know which size to get. Maybe 12" ?) (Also do not know about wiring issue and communicating with ECU)

4.)MAF sensor (maybe Jet or Granatelli)

5.)SLP underdrive balancer pulley

6.) Altenator overdrive pulley

7.)Dayco 5060882 or 88.2 Eq serpentine belt

8.)Dayco 5040345 or 34.5 accer belt

9.) 160 degree summit thermostat

No Idea for the following:

10.)Increase/ replace throttle body

11.) Performance intake manifold

12.)Performance coil pack (MSD)

13.) Wires and plugs (which ones are the best for performance ?!?!?!?)

ANY OTHER IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT !

Dont waist your money on items 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11,

Also the flowmaster muffler is hurting you. Dual electric fans (a single fan would never cool the engine), Custom tune, cam swap, long tube headers would achieve ALOT more power than what you listed above.

Thank you. I have been doing more research based on the info you gave me. What is a stall? I keep seeing tb-stall everywhere. Also i was reading where many peoples gas mileage stays the same or goes up by cam swaping. Im not sure how or what gear ratio they had though. That would be awesome.. but if not true... no worries. So do you think the best bet is a Tr220 with 4.10s? I do drive it a lot. What can I be expecting for MPG? Will my tranny hold up? thanks for all the help.

The stall is the torque converter, it should be rated towards what cam you install which whoever you get a cam from can help you with. And there was a post on the forum once about our tranny and how it can safely run 350hp/tq without beefing up the internals on the trans, but dont quote me on that one lol

Archived