gm cat back dual exhaust w/ spare tire

Hey guys,

Recently got a new-to-me 2010 Sierra 1500 CC. All stock, but the exhaust which the previous owner installed. My investigating tells me it's a GM cat-back dual exhaust w/ GM lettering on the muffler and tips.They apparently offered their own mod I'm guessing? Sounds great, but it doesn't work with the spare tire. Looks like the passenger side pipe needs moved out 1" and the driver side a good 6". I know it's not a biggy, but if the price works, you think a few extra bends will change the sound or performance much? I'd love to get the spare back under the truck if I can. Here's a link I found of my current setup...http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/oem/2008-gmc-sierra-cat-back-exhaust-system-7850.html

I thought I had seen a Corsa that looked like my setup. It does sound great. Perfect volume IMO. Now I just have to decide how much money a spare tire is worth to me. This truck is my long distance driver so it would be nice to have one when I'm stuck away from home. Thanks!

I thought I had seen a Corsa that looked like my setup. It does sound great. Perfect volume IMO. Now I just have to decide how much money a spare tire is worth to me. This truck is my long distance driver so it would be nice to have one when I'm stuck away from home. Thanks!
throw it in the bed?

yes, there's always that option. I just feel like if you got one, it should go where it was designed to go. We'll see. I haven't got a quote to bend some pipe yet.

Seems strange that they would design the exhaust to not fit around the spare. Are you sure the spare won't fit with the exhaust and the guy before you just took it off and never put it back on? If the system is the same as the corsa, the corsa is made to fit around the spare.

Seems strange that they would design the exhaust to not fit around the spare. Are you sure the spare won't fit with the exhaust and the guy before you just took it off and never put it back on? If the system is the same as the corsa, the corsa is made to fit around the spare.

100% positively sure. I even cranked the spare up to see where it hits. That link I listed is my exact setup and it says the spare has to be removed too. There's no name on the system though, other than the GM logo, so I'm not sure exactly who it is from. The more I'm thinking, with smart phones, onstar, and towing covered on the insurance, I guess I don't even need one other than for the convenience. It is a full size with a 20" rim though. When I bought the truck I got them to throw in a spare in the deal since the other guy had to take it off.

On a side note...in the 7 years I drove my old truck, I had 3 flat tires. Twice at school, once at home. Bad luck I guess. lol

Ok. I looked at the weblink, but i didn't see that the rear tire had to be removed.

says right there at the top...(The spare tire has to be removed when a dual exhaust system is installed, and a tire inflator kit is recommended)

Ok. I looked at the weblink, but i didn't see that the rear tire had to be removed.

says right there at the top...(The spare tire has to be removed when a dual exhaust system is installed, and a tire inflator kit is recommended)

Wow. not sure how I missed that. I was probably too busy looking at the cost and seeing it as a possibility for my truck. Sorry for my missing that., lol.

Wow. not sure how I missed that. I was probably too busy looking at the cost and seeing it as a possibility for my truck. Sorry for my missing that., lol.

Haha...it does sound pretty good, but I feel like it could have easily been designed to avoid the spare.

I've decided that I probably won't get a tool box and opt for a tonneau cover instead. Means I can always hide the spare in there too.. As much as a diamond plate tool box would look awesome with the chrome rims and black paint, it would just eat up too much of that 5'8" bed. I drove a single cab s10 before this and needed a tool box just because I couldn't hold anything in the cab. I had to pull that dang thing off anytime I wanted to haul anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Any good muffler shop that has a tube bender can easily change the pipe routing on a GM or other kit to clear the spare tire. Or simply buy the mufflers you want and have a shop build a custom cat-back exhaust. You can tell the shop where you want the pipes to exit and you can select any sort of tips you want.

Most of the kits appear to be stainless, but aluminumized pipe will work too. I had a shop build a cat-back system on my old '99 Silverado using just the pipe stock on hand and it's still there today. The guy that owns the truck says it's still in excellent shape.

Archived