5.3 or 4 vs 6.2

I think the 2011-12 GMC Sierra 1500's come in the 5.3 or .4 Liter and the Sierra Denali comes in the 6.2 I know for sure. The 1500 sticker says 15/21 and the Denali 12/18. I may have seen one that said 13/18 and might have seen a 1500 that said 16/21. Just wondering if it was apples to apples 12/18 vs 15/21 how much of a difference in feul economy might it actually be a difference?

Is it basically what it says, 3 more miles to the gallon on the highway roughly? I wonder how significant I would even notice? I like everything the Denali has but man is it pricey. I sort of wanted to get the 1500 SLT built just like the denali as far as all the woodgrain inside and the front done the same as far as grills and the bumper painted instead of being chrome. Just trying to weigh all of my options and the denali being much more pricey as well as burning more fuel almost makes me want to go with the SLT but I definitely love that interior with the woodgrain. The slt has some woodgrain but not as much as the denali.

You can get a 1500 Sierra NON-Denali with the color matched front and rear bumpers. You have to get the All Terrain package and you can get it with the 6.2L. To have the things you want, you don't really need to get the Denali. Plus you get true 4 wheel drive vs the AWD in the Denali.

The 1500 is available with either the 5.3 with AFM, or the 6.2 with no AFM. If I were to di it again, I would have gotten the 6.2. Pretty sure the LTZ comes with the fake wood grain also.

I dont know about the 6.2, but I can give you a true assesment of the 6.0 VS the 5.3. In 2007, I bought a new extended cab chevy 1500 5.3. I had it for 3 weeks and traded it in for another chevy dually 4x4 because it was gutless. It would not tow my 26' cabin cruiser with out shifting in and out. I also had to lock it into 4wd to pull the boat out of the water. Well, in 2008, I traded in the dually because of diesel going through the roof here AND I was driving 200 miles every weekend back and forth from work and home, plus the around town miles when I was at work. I remembered the 5.3, so I got the GMC Vmax 6.0 w/ 4 speed tranny. Man, night and day from the 5.3. I took it on several trips hauling a 16' trailer and full size rockcrawler. That thing was a beast. When towing, it got 13 mpg. Here in town and back and forth to my new local job it got 17/18 mpg (mixture of highway and city). Well, in 2010, I found my dream truck... 2008 F350 Dually leather black on black loaded.... Well, in august 2011 I decided I was tired of constantly having that pos in the shop and comming out of pocket to fix it (serves me right for buying a Ford, and used at that), so it got traded in on a 2011 Chevy 1500 extended cab Z71 4x4 (yes they make 2wd Z71 now) with the 5.3 6 speed. Well, compared to the 2008 6.0, it is still gutless and the funny thing is, driving the same route to work that I was with the 6.0, I get the same damn 17/18 mpg (actually 17.7 usually) that I got with the 6.0. This is a smaller motor AND a 6 speed, but I never break and rarily hit 18mpg. If I would have known this, I would have gotten the 6.2. IF I ever buy another new truck, it will be the damn duramax and to hell with the gas prices....Should have kept my 2006 2500 dmax...

So, now that all that BS is out, the bottom line is this

2008 GMC crew cab 6.0 VMax 4 speed 4x4 = 17/18 mpg

2011 Chevy extended cab 5.3 6 speed 4x4 = 17/18 mpg

Same route driven every day. GO WITH THE 6.2 lol....unless you can afford the 2500 Dmax...

• 6 months later...

I dont know about the 6.2, but I can give you a true assesment of the 6.0 VS the 5.3. In 2007, I bought a new extended cab chevy 1500 5.3. I had it for 3 weeks and traded it in for another chevy dually 4x4 because it was gutless. It would not tow my 26' cabin cruiser with out shifting in and out. I also had to lock it into 4wd to pull the boat out of the water. Well, in 2008, I traded in the dually because of diesel going through the roof here AND I was driving 200 miles every weekend back and forth from work and home, plus the around town miles when I was at work. I remembered the 5.3, so I got the GMC Vmax 6.0 w/ 4 speed tranny. Man, night and day from the 5.3. I took it on several trips hauling a 16' trailer and full size rockcrawler. That thing was a beast. When towing, it got 13 mpg. Here in town and back and forth to my new local job it got 17/18 mpg (mixture of highway and city). Well, in 2010, I found my dream truck... 2008 F350 Dually leather black on black loaded.... Well, in august 2011 I decided I was tired of constantly having that pos in the shop and comming out of pocket to fix it (serves me right for buying a Ford, and used at that), so it got traded in on a 2011 Chevy 1500 extended cab Z71 4x4 (yes they make 2wd Z71 now) with the 5.3 6 speed. Well, compared to the 2008 6.0, it is still gutless and the funny thing is, driving the same route to work that I was with the 6.0, I get the same damn 17/18 mpg (actually 17.7 usually) that I got with the 6.0. This is a smaller motor AND a 6 speed, but I never break and rarily hit 18mpg. If I would have known this, I would have gotten the 6.2. IF I ever buy another new truck, it will be the damn duramax and to hell with the gas prices....Should have kept my 2006 2500 dmax...

So, now that all that BS is out, the bottom line is this

2008 GMC crew cab 6.0 VMax 4 speed 4x4 = 17/18 mpg

2011 Chevy extended cab 5.3 6 speed 4x4 = 17/18 mpg

Same route driven every day. GO WITH THE 6.2 lol....unless you can afford the 2500 Dmax...

My only question is - when did you start having to use E10 all the time? Around here in DFW, only the main polluting counties were forced to use E10, while you could still get all gas in semi rural areas. Im pretty sure its all E10 now. That E10 slurps when it comes to gas milage - easily 2-3 MPG. I have to believe this is why everyone talks about how good their mileage was just a few years ago (myself included). Pretty sure a 6.2 won't get you 17-18 with E10. Somethin to think about...

The main issue with the denali and escalade trim in respect to fuel efficiency is the awd. With out that you can expect better millage in 2wd

I agree, the AWD in MOST instances is not needed, it is more pain than what it is worth.

My 2013 Yukon Denali (2wd) with custom 22 in rims (22x9.5) and 285x45x22 (increased rolling mass) averages 13.2 MPG, both city and highway.

Low speed manuverability sucks in my 05 Denali. it makes a huge diffenece in my truck when i am backing my trailer up into my back yard in 4wd vs 2wd. Sometime I have to use 4wd if the gas is to wet. My trailer weighs 2000# empty and sometime up to 8000# loaded. The binding pisses me off and is a all around pita lol.

Yeah you can get the 6.2 in non-denali trim. I have no beefs with my 5.3 but if I could have found a 6.2 equipped exactly like my truck I'd have bought it instead.

The problem is that the avg GMC dealer will tell you that you must order the Denali package to get it. Have asked in several places in passing with the thought being, if they don't know any better, I am not buying there. ;)

The other issue is that both Chevrolet & GMC dealers are pushing people away to either Ram to get a 390hp motor or Ford with the 5.0 or Eco that have a higher advertised HP number than the 5.3.

Archived