How does the battery gague work and others

Since I just made a topic on the oil presure gague I thought I might start on a topic on how all my gagues work .

So we have the battery one so the battery one explain in detail please .

the oil one was explained to me in pretty good detail but you can explain it again if you want

the rad one i think (one that is like engine temp) not to sure about this one. what is a rad is that the coolent system thing .

thanks guys for informing me . I have these gauges I might as well be able to know what they do and mean .

Here is an good explanation how a voltmeter works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltmeter

The voltmeter in your truck tells you how the status of your battery is (when the ignition is on but the engine is not running). You can actually watch the effect on the voltage of your battery when you turn on your lights or tip the brake pedal. The indicator of the gauge will move to the left (less voltage).

With the ignition on and the engine off the gauge will show you a voltage a little over 12 V. (if the battery is ok)

In the winter time it is likely that the voltage will be a little lower than in the summer time (e.g. after one night outside parking).

With the engine running and the alternator charging the gauge will show you 13V to 14.5V. That will make sure your battery is charged with at least 12V. The voltage might be lower when you are running a lot of systems like A/C, lights, radio etc.

But is the voltage lower without all the systems running you should check your battery charging system.

Hope it helps a little,

so long

j-ten-ner

a simple google search would have answered your questions... :smash:

true but if i have questions on what a artical is talking about I can ask you guys :) . Also I can spend hours and hours reading stuff on google and I am with my girl friend suppose to be working on a term paper. I normaly would just use google but did not . I am sorry if I am being lazy .

Thankyou guys for your answers. Thank you J ten ner for your response and yes I do feel alittle dum for asking these questions and yes I could of done the research but I joined this fourm to ask the stupid questions and tell people what I think even if I have no idea what I am talking about lol :P

I'm so glad that we have people here who know it all...since birth...

:rolleyes:

Don't worry Morgan. There are no stupid questions. Only stupid answers.

so long

j-ten-ner

I have no idea what the original post was, he is on my poodle list....but the part you cut and pasted is not really 100% accurate. Lead/acid batteries have cells that are 2.2 volts each. When you have six cells, that means the battery is 13.2 volts, not 12. In order to charge a battery you have to apply more voltage than the battery is supposed to be.

And I have likely known this since you were born.

I have no idea what the original post was, he is on my poodle list....but the part you cut and pasted is not really 100% accurate. Lead/acid batteries have cells that are 2.2 volts each. When you have six cells, that means the battery is 13.2 volts, not 12. In order to charge a battery you have to apply more voltage than the battery is supposed to be.

And I have likely known this since you were born.

First, I did not cut and paste. The numbers would have been correct in this case.

Second, my intention was to keep it simple and give Morgan just an idea how it works. Since the gauge in the truck is not scaled down to 1/10 of a volt I thought it will be good as it is. John Doe at the bar is talking about a 12V battery and not a 13.2V battery. I guessed I just stay with it.

Third, thank you for correcting me. It is always appreciated when someone shares his knowledge.

Oh, maybe you can explain to Morgan how the temperature gauge works. This way you wont have to correct me again.

so long

j-ten-ner

PS. This a forum for GM Enthusiasts.

We have people here with a wide field of education and skills. I'm sure Morgan is an expert in his field, so as everybody in any other field.

There is no need to give anybody answers like "Google", "manual". You don't have to read the post, you don't have to answer if you're annoyed.

It's that simple.

a simple google search would have answered your questions... :smash:

Seriously?!!! What did you join the GM Trucks forum for? To provide friendly help like this to people? I'm sure he knows what Google is. He wanted to "talk trucks" with other FRIENDLY truck owners, not get told he was annoying you by asking a question. Maybe he values the opinions of certain members who have given him good info in the past.

What the F**K is it with this forum lately? Every time some one asks a question they get answered with more questions about WHY they want the info or, WHAT they plan to do with the info or, HOW they could have got the info without posting their question at all. Some people act as if they are being required to answer every question posted here and so they better weed out as many as possible and save themselves some work. I don't know, are you guys paying a monthly fee here for storage and bandwidth charges? Is there some reason one guy should give a S**T what another asks? I mean can't you just skip the ones you don't want to read or get involved in? I'm no saint, and I roll my eyes at a few posts here and there, but if I cannot help, I don't bother to type a reply saying I can't help or, that it was a dumb post. I just move on. This place used to be fun. Now days go by w/o any new posts and I wouldn't be surprised if it was because people are just plain afraid or unsure of asking what's on their mind. This is not a specialized forum; it's not like filling up the Ask the GM Tech forum with questions about the best car wash soap. This is the "Shoot the S**T" forum for trucks. </end rant>

Morgan, (sorry about the little outburst - I just get PO'd by that attitude) I have a follow up question for you: Find out here, on Google or anywhere, what the measuring marks actually mean (i.e. how much each line on the gauge corresponds to) and explain it to the rest of us! You'll be a hero. Seriously. Check your gauges sometime and count the lines between 0 and the 1st marked number and then the lines between that and the next marked number and try to find the formula that makes any sense for the math involved. I know they are meant more to be visual attention getters (fancy idiot lights) than truly accurate measuring devices, but some of the numbers you get (and lines the same distance apart equaling totally different values) is a bit confusing and funny. By all means use Google if it gives you the answer you need for ANY question but don't ever feel like you cannot post something here that you just feel like talking about with others. Last time I checked, that's why we all log in here, ay? Cheers.

Archived