What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

11 hours ago, Mikebtte said:

Jsdirt,

I used an old set up I have had for ever. Just all thread and some hooks. It was a struggle to make it happen, good hour to swap 1 spring. I would not recommend the process to anyone. 

Ya, the ball joint seems common, I fear taking to dang truck off road, always think I'll end up with a bad joint.

20181207_185524.jpg

Welcome. And No kidding, my last suspension job was an 07 Tahoe, and I couldn't get the main nut off, so I took the assembly to a shop to remove the one nut. Two hours later THEY hadn't done it.  I asked them to at least compress the spring and THEIR  air powered compressor couldn't compress it. Well,  ticked off at their lack of ability despite high end tools, my father(who was  giving me a ride since my daily was obviously down) and I just did it in the parking(just to prove it could be done) lot by hand, because I didn't care at that point if something broke, I was ready to replace whatever. We found out the guys at the shop were afraid to after realizing how strong the thing is. e WWehen they realized they were all lined up to the window watching us do it. When I had the thing in pieces I displayed it to them like a trophy. :lol: 

On top of that one of the new struts was a Z71 strut inside a computers controlled shock box.

The worst part? One of the new suspension pieces was defective, only lasted two weeks. (The whole story and my rampant frustration and dismay is in this thread, mid July 2015.)

This story is one of the reasons I recently invested in overpowered power tools. And one of my many automoite disasters. Stick around and I'll end up buying something that turns into a ridiculous project or disaster sooner or later. It's kind of my thing. 

I do this for a living, and don't have a tool capable of compressing that thing! Neither did any of the shops in town - their reaction was the same when they saw it - "Holy crap!" Back then the truck was still pretty new, so they might have something by now. The press I need to handle these things is $750+.

No idea what you guys built, but I'd love to see a picture of it. Maybe I'm just getting soft at my age! :D 

9 hours ago, mikedeezxxx said:

How do I get those blue dash lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get them from a US supplier called led-switch.  Look for 5mm 12 Volt Blue With Water Clear Lens. Were you planning on doing this yourself?  You will need the polarity on the board because LEDs are polarity dependant. 

http://led-switch.com/12 volt LED.htm

You can have a read in this thread.

Edited by Coby7

2 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

I do this for a living, and don't have a tool capable of compressing that thing! Neither did any of the shops in town - their reaction was the same when they saw it - "Holy crap!" Back then the truck was still pretty new, so they might have something by now. The press I need to handle these things is $750+.

No idea what you guys built, but I'd love to see a picture of it. Maybe I'm just getting soft at my age! :D 

These worked for me. I used 20mm threaded rod for the screws. 

425AABC0-2C49-463F-A364-07B56E5036FE.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HoosierZ said:

Nice - thanks for the pic. Looks up to the task from here

17 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

Didn't build anything. Used the compressors you rent at parts stores. I had bought mine own but they bent so much I went to rent some too, but they did the same. I think we tried four on one spring but that was a cluttered mess so went back to two and they were a scary shape by the time we got everything apart. Ended up mostly straight by the end when loosening if I remember correctly.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

On 12/9/2018 at 7:36 AM, HoosierZ said:

425AABC0-2C49-463F-A364-07B56E5036FE.jpeg

This is what did the trick. I had an older set up with smaller diameter thread that was bending like crazy.

Nice set up

This morning in the shop I repaired a couple of GM flip key FOBs ( 20835404 ) If you look at the one on the left you will notice it needed a new switch. This type of damage is usually caused by long finger nail on thumb. If you look above the unlock icon on the left you will notice the arced gouge in the rubber the shape of a finger nail. Installed 2 new cases and I have an other happy customer. Dealer wanted over $400 to replace these. I also sold him a couple of silicone case covers so this doesn't happen again.

. CJTra6K.jpg

If you own a GM flip keyfob like these I strongly suggest getting silicone cover cases because they are a bitch to repair and expensive to replace.

tQLFwT0.jpg?1
ixDSLOU.jpg

Ali-express pretty much has all of the 5 variations of this set-up

• Like 1