What did you do with your truck/shop today

SarahsGMC

Shop was 33°F (1°C) all day today. Still need to get my waste oil burner hooked up. Been too busy. This was supposed to happen in July ... :sick:

Got a kerosene torpedo out there for the interim, but I only fire that up when it gets into the 20's out there - that's about my limit.

Hate working on stuff only to keep pausing to see if something is on fire. Nope, just the fog from my breath! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

Shop was 33°F (1°C) all day today. Still need to get my waste oil burner hooked up. Been too busy. This was supposed to happen in July ... :sick:

Got a kerosene torpedo out there for the interim, but I only fire that up when it gets into the 20's out there - that's about my limit.

Hate working on stuff only to keep pausing to see if something is on fire. Nope, just the fog from my breath! :D 

Ugggg, Story of my life. The house we bought 3 years ago has a attached garage, uninsulated/ unfinished. I've been using a propane heater just to take the bite out of the air when I need to get something done. I promised myself that it would get finished eventually, but I was waiting to get an electrician to rewire it as the whole garage literally has/ had a single light and outlet. I finally got that done this summer, and now just have to insulate and hand sheetrock. Dragging feet on that too. Sigh.....

Edited by carkhz316

On 12/11/2018 at 9:37 PM, SnakeEyeSS said:

Strange, I'm not being tailgated today, at all

LN63NRT.jpg

New door, went pretty well until my caulk gun lever started sliding back on it's own

That is strange. People are normally so distracted that they will tail me with a truck bed full of nails and spikes.

Makes no difference what you're hauling through MA - they're 3" off your bumper no matter what. :lol:

2 hours ago, carkhz316 said:

Ugggg, Story of my life. The house we bought 3 years ago has a attached garage, uninsulated/ unfinished. I've been using a propane heater just to take the bite out of the air when I need to get something done. I promised myself that it would get finished eventually, but I was waiting to get an electrician to rewire it as the whole garage literally has/ had a single light and outlet. I finally got that done this summer, and now just have to insulate and hand sheetrock. Dragging feet on that too. Sigh.....

I just put this addition on last year - a year ago this week as a matter of fact. I just finally got around to running outlets for where the oil burner is going.

My biggest problem is I'm a mechanic ... but also a carpenter, electrician, mason, and plumber around here. I NEVER catch a break!

Just the other night, right before bed, of course, I lost my heat in the house. I've got a coal stoker boiler that I tied into my oil boiler 5 years ago. I've been running an old PC power cable to the stoker controller, since it's the only thing that fits that strange 3-pronged recessed male-pin plug on it. I must've been extra tired, since I let the wire fall down and lay on the hottest part of the boiler. Melted through, and tripped the breaker. I noticed the hot water getting lukewarm - luckily that tipped me off before going to bed. Sucks waking up to a 50° house, let me tell ya! So I go down there, not knowing what the problem was - hit the breaker. It immediately trips, so I start walking around doing a visual on both units. Saw the cable & peeled it off the boiler. It left some copper behind - must've made a nice spark before the breaker tripped! Grabbed my electrical repair stuff out in the barn, fixed it pretty quick. I figured that was an easy one. Hit the breaker - NOTHING! Now I'm boiling mad! It's midnight, and I have to be up in less than 6 hours on Sunday morning. Now I've got to troubleshoot an electrical problem! Wife heard me swearing, so now she's down there trying to help (made her my tool runner, lol).  Had to start right at the box. Got power at the breaker. Good. Follow the wire down to the back of the oil boiler - power there. Follow that to the next junction box. Got power going into and out of the emergency switch upstairs. Then I checked the thermal switch. BINGO. The short circuit must've fried it. By now it's 1am, so I bypassed the stupid thing and went to bed. 

Some day I'll rewire everything the right way. For now, we're warm. :lol: 

Had a pic of the wiring ... but looks like I'm limited on pic sizes ... depending on the time of day ... :rolleyes:

IMG_9685.thumb.JPG.fae43650e720c571081ec2a706fa1a00.JPG

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chevor said:

Well white truck spent a few weeks in Wisconson.

White truck is back to life.   Injection pump replaced.

Anyone one wanna guess the weight here?

20181214_111937_zpskhga0ts6.jpg?w=480&h=
20181214_112650_zpsv9o88m0v.jpg?w=480&h=

Im guessing around 15K LBS?

8 - 8,500 is my guess, assuming that's a 1500 on the back. Just the trailer and truck -  not the tow vehicle.

Edited by Jsdirt

What your not seeing is the fuel.   The front truck had about 160 gallons and the one on the trailer had 80 gallons.  The way to secondary tanks are postioned in the front of the beds. I think actually make the load look lighter.  I bet there would of been more sag without the fuel.

20181214_112753_zpseeeu9fih.jpg?w=480&h=

Edited by Chevor
  • Like 1

Surprised I was that far off on the trailer weight - I've hauled plenty of 'em, and I usually get 'em right on the money. Is that a 2500 or 3500 back there? I couldn't see too well - assumed it was a 1500. Either that, or I under estimated the trailer weight. What's the GVWR of that trailer?

Edited by Jsdirt