Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

What did you do with your truck/shop today


SarahsGMC
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't know about Ford, but it seems all the Japanese brands do the same.

 

GM is the total opposite. Not only to they outsource assembly, but 98% of the parts are built in 3rd world countries. I've seen Malaysia, Mexico, China, and Taiwan on genuine GM boxes ... :sick:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

I don't know about Ford, but it seems all the Japanese brands do the same.

 

GM is the total opposite. Not only to they outsource assembly, but 98% of the parts are built in 3rd world countries. I've seen Malaysia, Mexico, China, and Taiwan on genuine GM boxes ... :sick:

GM makes a lot of vehicles in the US:

https://www.cars.com/articles/carscom-2018-american-made-index-which-cars-are-built-in-america-for-2018-1420700348293/

 

But maybe not the most American made vehicles (parts):

https://www.cars.com/american-made-index/

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with that article is, they don't tell you all of those same models are also built in Canada and Mexico. They need to break down the numbers there ... but they won't. Not sure GM even divulges that information. Could be found by VIN number, though.

 

First digit: 2= Canada, 3= Mexico.

 

Every single Subaru, Honda, and Toyota car or truck I've seen has had a "1" for the first number of the VIN - USA. I see LOTS of GM trucks made in Mexico or Canada (including my own), but only a handful with a "1".  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The same company that makes the hood latch and steering wheel for your truck, probably makes them for the competition as well.  The factories are just assembly points of a bunch of independently manufactured parts from other companies.  Be it in the USA, Japan, Mexico.. or *gasp* even China. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been that way since the dawn of the automobile, Ryan.

 

What you don't realize is, the factory TELLS those guys HOW they want something built - when said supplier gives a price for such specifications, which have a direct bearing on quality, GM, or any manufacturer has the final say on whether that's a go, or not. GM has had a bad habit lately of going with the lowest bidder - that is blatantly obvious to anyone still working in the auto industry, and comparing today with years past. GM is the worst of them all in that regard lately, while the others are all in a race to the bottom as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/26/2019 at 8:25 PM, Jsdirt said:

The problem with that article is, they don't tell you all of those same models are also built in Canada and Mexico. They need to break down the numbers there ... but they won't. Not sure GM even divulges that information. Could be found by VIN number, though.

 

First digit: 2= Canada, 3= Mexico.

 

Every single Subaru, Honda, and Toyota car or truck I've seen has had a "1" for the first number of the VIN - USA. I see LOTS of GM trucks made in Mexico or Canada (including my own), but only a handful with a "1".  

You might be able to "back into" a number though, because CrewCab 1500s are assembled in Mexico, where as Regular and Extended cabs are assembled in US, along with Heavy Duty. So if you can find yearly sales numbers for each of those models, and add them up, you could answer the question: are more Silverdos assembed in the US or Mexico. Canada is not listed as an assembly point in the articles I read, just engine building, and parts. 

 

Edit/Add:

Looks like in 2016 there were 574,000 Silverados sold

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/silverado/chevrolet-silverado-sales-numbers/

And they estimate that 222,000 were made in Mexico. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/autos/2017/02/10/made-mexico-popular-us-vehicles-produced-south-border

 

Edited by ftwhite
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with that article is, they don't tell you all of those same models are also built in Canada and Mexico. They need to break down the numbers there ... but they won't. Not sure GM even divulges that information. Could be found by VIN number, though.
 
First digit: 2= Canada, 3= Mexico.
 
Every single Subaru, Honda, and Toyota car or truck I've seen has had a "1" for the first number of the VIN - USA. I see LOTS of GM trucks made in Mexico or Canada (including my own), but only a handful with a "1".  


My 2016 Honda Civic was built in Canada


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't say none of them were - just a larger percentage of "foreign" cars are built here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ftwhite said:

You might be able to "back into" a number though, because CrewCab 1500s are assembled in Mexico, where as Regular and Extended cabs are assembled in US, along with Heavy Duty. So if you can find yearly sales numbers for each of those models, and add them up, you could answer the question: are more Silverdos assembed in the US or Mexico. Canada is not listed as an assembly point in the articles I read, just engine building, and parts. 

 

Edit/Add:

Looks like in 2016 there were 574,000 Silverados sold

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/silverado/chevrolet-silverado-sales-numbers/

And they estimate that 222,000 were made in Mexico. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/autos/2017/02/10/made-mexico-popular-us-vehicles-produced-south-border

 

Honestly, I don't trust GM to tell the truth on that. The company is in trouble (AGAIN!), and they'll do what it takes to keep money rolling in, and shareholders happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/26/2019 at 10:19 PM, ftwhite said:

That list will be a whole lot shorter in a year. They are killing a third of it in a few months. But you know, maybe the Mexican Silverado will be built better. They have the real sugar coke in their break room. :lol:  The US ones are being made by Corn Syrup powered workers.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Christmas in February at the shop! :thumbs: She's a beauty.

 

Just fired her up for a little break-in run. Manual didn't say anything about break-in, other than to keep a close eye on it for the first 8 hours, then dump the oil at 100 hours.

 

Had a pretty sketchy temporary wiring set up to get 220v to the compressor, since the lift is the only 220v appliance in the shop as of right now. I took the wires out of the lift, attached jumper cables, then attached those to a pair of 4 gauge cables I had laying around, then stripped the ends and fed those into the pressure switch. :lol:  OSHA would have a field day here, LOL. Let it run about 20 minutes with the valve open, then shut the valve and let it run to cutout pressure (175 PSI). Got there FAST - barely more than 5 minutes.

 

Also wired up a Hobbs meter to help keep track of maintenance. Got it off eBay for $20 - only issue was it already had .2 hours on it, so now I have to subtract those 2 tenths from the total time. Not a huge deal, for close to 80% off, IMO.  :cool:

IMG-0068.jpg

 

IMG-0059.jpg


IMG-0062.jpg


IMG-0064.jpg


IMG-0078.jpg

 

fullsizeoutput-a8c.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Washed her this evening during my lunch break. I'll try to take pictures tonight, when I get home, if it doesn't rain. But since I washed her, it is more likely to rain, now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.