Transmission Fried Allready?

So I have a 2007 Silverado 2500 HD, Has anyone had any problems with the transmission's in these things? It is a 6L-90, and I keep getting two codes---P0700-"Trans Control Malfunction", as well as a P2715-"Pressure Control Solenoid "D" Stuck on". From talking with a couple of local trans shops they are thinkning that the reason for the P2715 codes is that the transmission is slipping and then engaging the solenoid to basicly stay in some sort of gear. What haddens is- usally when I am pulling a horse trailer, it works ok going down the road, it will shift up down ect.. but as I pull up to a stop sign it will drop down into first and will not shift out of first gear. I have to pull over and sit for about 3-4 minutes, then I take off and it will work untill I come across another stop sign. Does it in both "tow mode" and reg drive. The trans temp is reading in the mid 190's sometimes touching 200-205, and it really hasnt been warm outside yet. This morning with no trailer and 50 degree temp the trans never went over 140. So do you all think time for a new/ rebuilt trans? The truck has 123,000 miles I have only had it for maybe 5,000-6,000 miles, so no idea of the life it had before, but I or my wife will be pulling horse trailers, campers and boats all summer... I did change the trans fluid and filter last week to see if it would make a differnece, but it did not,,, used Destron VI fluid.

+1000 ,do not guess at this and assume anything

trans shops dont know anything about these yet ,,they are to new imo

travis ,the TCM is NOT inside the transmission

and "thinking" 2715 code does that is ludicrist,,i can copy and paste the code for you but that does not doesnt make much sence to do that now

take it in ,,,DO NOT go to that trans shop again,they are #$%ed up

+1000 ,do not guess at this and assume anything

trans shops dont know anything about these yet ,,they are to new imo

and "thinking" 2715 code does that is ludicrist,,i can copy and paste the code for you but that does not doesnt make much sence to do that now

take it in ,,,DO NOT go to that trans shop again,they are #$%ed up

x2 on 2715 not being thrown for that reason. Doesn't really make any sense. It all depends on what PCS D controls. I don't have any info in front of me. With that being said, normally I'm not a fan of paying for dealer diag's, but I'd see what they think on this one.

Here is a good picture of the module/solenoid assembly:

http://www.tomboynton.com/6L90.htm

You can't change this component without first programming it to the vehicle's ECM. This has to be done by the dealer, though some places like Jasper's will sell you a rebuilt transmission with a programmed TCM in it when you provide them with a VIN. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

You didn't mention what condition the transmission fluid was in. If the transmission has been slipping, the fluid should have been burned, particularly if you have been using the truck for towing. Since you didn't mention the fluid was burned, I suspect you have an electrical problem. As the earlier posts said, your best bet is to take the truck to a reputable GM dealer. Most likely you have a problem in the module/solenoid assembly.

Well I just heard back from the dealer, they said there is a drum in the transmission that controls Reverse, 1st and 3rd... maybe??? honestly I dont remember ther gears he said.. mainly because I have been noticing some stalling when I put it in reverse, sometimes it takes 4-5 seconds to engage, and going from 2nd to 3rd it sometimes has a slip as well, (the fluid I changed was a little black with some filling on the magnet, I even took apart the filter and it was pretty dirty) so I believe them in this case..anyway they said when this drum starts to go bad (crack) it will do some of the things I have described. From the sounds of it is it something that is happeninig more often as the early ones are getting more miles on them. He said the newer ones, Which I am getting, supposedly has the drum problem fixed. Actually a new GM transmission with a 100,000 mile warrenty and 3 years on it was not as expensive as I had prepared myself for. so.. there's that... :dunno:

3-5-Reverse clutch drum? I did a little checking and there have been some issues with this part in '07-'08 6L80's and 6L90's, and part that can cause the symptoms you have described. It looks like the problem doesn't happen until the transmission has some miles on it. In 2009 the drum was revised, and the new part is included in the factory reman. transmissions you get from GM. One advantage of the GM 'SRTA' transmissions is they include all the latest revisions. I use them often and have had great luck.

Look at the bright side, a 6L90 is MUCH less expensive than an Allison 1000 or Ford 6R140!

Yes, it is. There is a TCM inside the transmission. It is a CAN/bus system.

i was just guessing and had a 50-50 shot of being right lol,dumbest thing ive ever heard lol

sry travis

Yes, it is. There is a TCM inside the transmission. It is a CAN/bus system.

i was just guessing and had a 50-50 shot of being right lol,dumbest thing ive ever heard lol

sry travis

It was shocker, I'll give you that! Read up on CAN. Computer Area Network. Instead of having one ECM controlling the engine, transmission, and maybe traction/ABS, the trend is to have separate modules for every major component or system and then network them together through a bus. Much more capability, and easier more precise diagnostics.

Archived