9.5" hybrid axle questions

Is it just a 2500 axle with 1500 shafts? So could Thia be done myself or if I take it to a shop. Are the gears in the 9.5" 30 spline and able to take the 1500 shafts when I pull the 2500 shafts out. I have the chance to get my hands on an axle out of a 2500 before it gets hauled off

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I may be wrong but im taking a shot in the dark. I believe the hybrid 9.5" axel is similar to the old 3/4 ton Semi Floating rears from the GMT 400 and GMT 800 basically its a light duty 3/4 ton axle and is 6 lug. The axle your talking about is a Full Floating rear and is 8 Lug, not going to work with your wheels. It will fit on your truck but you would need a new set of wheels for the rear, and no they don't make an 8 lug to 6lug wheel adaptor. Because one is Semi floating and one is Full floating you cannot swap axle shafts.

From what I've gathered, it's a "hybrid" mix of parts from the older 9.5" axles used in lighter duty "3/4 tons", and parts from the standard 8.625 axle used on 1500s. I really don't know which parts, but the center carrier/gears/housing are from the 9.5"... so I'm guessing that the shafts/bearings/hubs are from the 8.625. The load rating is the same as the 8.625, so this makes sense to me. It may only be the hubs that are different, but I would expect a higher load rating if that were true. They also get disc brakes.

Either way, you don't want an 8 lug axle, and I sure wouldn't build my own. The 8.625 is a good axle, and handles a 4.8 or 5.3 with no issues, and hauling loads that the the rest of the truck can handle.

well im asking about what was on the Silverado SS. Vortec Max, and NHT trucks. They are 14 bolts, and use 6 lug wheels

Just to clarify, there are multiple 14 bolt axles. I'm pretty sure that prior generation "light duty" 2500's offered a 9.5" semi-float, 6-lug axle... but the 2500HD has the "GM Corporate" full float 14 bolt (8 lug), with a 10.5 or 11.5 ring gear. I'm no expert on it, but I'm pretty sure the 6-lug 9.5 used in some older 2500s is not the same as the hybrid version used on the newer NHT, etc. The hybrid has the same vertical load rating as the 10 bolt (~4000 lbs), where the 9.5 was a good bit higher.

Why do you want the bigger axle? Unless you have major plans to build the engine you'll never make enough power to run the risk of damaging the 10 bolt.

There's the reason right there. I'm going to be putting in an LQ9. This LQ9 will not be stock when it goes in

I'm going LQ9 with over 400 HP a built 4L60 and wanted the same rear end as in the ss and v max

Archived