Vbration and Rubbing Feeling in Steering Wheel

Hi, I am new to the GM-Trucks Forum. I own a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. I have a vibration in the steering wheel that can be felt at all speeds. It also feels like something is rubbing when you turn the steering wheel at parking lot speeds. I do not hear any noises coming from anywhere. About 4 months ago I had 4 brand new Cooper Discover AT3 tires put on. I noticed this started happening back around the first to middle of march. Can anyone help me?? Thanks Cory

So the vibration/rubbing started before the new tires were put on? If after then I say rebalance and also what size tires did you put on, bigger than stock? These trucks are known to have weak hub bearing so get the front end jacked up and check out your suspension, triple checking those hub bearings. I've had both front's replaced before I even hit 80k miles.

It started about a month to a month and a half after I put the new tires on. I put the same stock size tire on 265/70R17. I did not go any bigger. I have 59k miles on my truck.

The feeling in the steering wheel isn't like it is going to jump out of your hand or the shaking back and forth kind. It feels kinda like road vibration but worse. Could that still be something with the tires? I had my local shop who I have been going to for a long time and trust look at it and they changed the power steering fluid and checked the pump and greased the truck. They said everything seemed to be working good and all joints were good. They thought everything seemed ok. There is also that grinding/rubbing/vibration feeling when I turn the steering wheel at slow speeds.

There is also that grinding/rubbing/vibration feeling when I turn the steering wheel at slow speeds.

This sounds quite like the infamous intermediate shaft problem that they never fixed.... welcome to the club :)

Archived