looking at trailers/5th wheel need help!

• 1 year later...

Enthusiast, I pulled a light weight 5th wheel with my 2003 5.3L Ext Cab LB. It weighed 4000lbs. Loaded it weighs 4800lbs. I loved the way it pulled with little to no sway. It was equipped with a 3.73 rear end. It was all the trailer you wanted when you came to climbing hills, mountains, or into a wind. Just slow it down going up hill or it will be screaming in 2nd gear. Gas mileage was 7-9 mpg depending on the terrain. I bought it with 62k miles on it and sold it a couple of weeks ago with 162k on it. Still running strong. Just keep good tires and brakes on it. I think that was all of the trailer I wanted with that set up. As far as the short bed you can buy a slider 5th wheel hitch, some move automatically when you need to make a tight turn others you have to release and pull forward and relock to back up. I would opt for the more expensive automatic if I were you. My new truck is 2012 2500HD Sierra Ext Cab LB. It has a Pop-up goose neck ball already in it so I converted the trailer to a goose neck. Bucks more when I start out or hit a bump in the road. Pulls just fine though, same trailer. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Archived