Looking for a new home defense/carry gun

As the title says, I am looking for a new home protection/carry gun. Right now I carry a Glock 23. I love the gun and it carries well and I shoot it well.

But sometimes it feels a little big, I think mainly because of the thickness of the gun. It's tougher to carry with wearing shorts and a t-shirt. So, with that said I am looking for something that is a little more slim. I also want something that my wife can shoot and carry comfortably as well. I'd like to stay with .40 since I already have everything to reload that round with but would consider 9mm and .45, maybe even .380.

My top choices at the moment are the Walther PPS (comes in both 9mm and .40) or something in the 1911 family. Something like the Sprinfield Armory EMP or one of the Kimber Ultra-Carry pistols. I used to have a Sprinfield-Armory 1911 GI model and loved it.

So, what are your thoughts on my choices? I have heard nothing bad about the 1911 lines and can't really go wrong with any of them so I guess my main question is on the PPS. Anybody shot one? Anybody carry one daily? Any other Walther's to consider?

Any other suggestions on a new carry gun that is slimmer than the Glocks. If I don't find anything I like, I can always go to a 26 or 27 since they are smaller and would fit the wife's had better too but then I'm back with thickness I was trying to get away from. Also the holsters I currently have can be used with a 26 or 27 as well.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to assume you are asking for two different recomendations. I say this because I would not consider the same gun for home defense and carry. I would look for a higher capacity and less size restriction for my home defense weapon than I would for a comfortable carry weapon.

I have a Kahr CW for my CCW. Very slim profile and easy to conceal, yet the grip is still ample enough to allow comfortable shooting. I would agree that the S&W shield looks good but i have not handled one as of yet.

For a home defense weapon, the options are limitless.

I used to have the Kahr PM9 & that was my summer daily carry--good pistol, but I wasn't crazy about the ergonomics for me. I have the M&P Shield (9mm) and it is awesome! Shoots great, has great ergonomics (for me at least) & it conceals on me very well. The best advice I can give is to literally go out and pick the guns up and see what feels good in your hands--but, I would say that you definitely should check out the Shield.

When I made the title I was going to ask about home defense guns too. After I started typing it went more towards just a carry gun and I forgot to change the title.

I am going to go to Basspro soon and just get a feel for all the guns they have now. Since it reopened after the flooding here, they carry 3x as many guns as they used to.

I agree with just going and picking up as many as you can. That's what I did when I bought my Glock and it fit the best out of all of the guns at the time so I picked it up. As for the Shield, what is the thickness on it compared to the Glocks? I'm leaning more towards a 1911 framed gun but we'll see what fits best. I want something that will be easier to conceal than the Glock in the summer.

Colt has come out with the Mustang in .380 but it looks like it might be too small for my hands. Hopefully I can find one around here and check it out.

I'm going to pick up a Remington 870 Express 12ga soon for home defense. Can't decide on if I want to get the matte black or the marine finish just for the cool factor.

I have a Kimber ultra carry 45 for winter but in the summer I switch to the S&W air weight 38 revolver.

I'm a small guy.

How do you like the Kimber? I've heard nothing but good things about them but have never had the opportunity to shoot one.

I have a Kimber ultra carry 45 for winter but in the summer I switch to the S&W air weight 38 revolver.

I'm a small guy.

How do you like the Kimber? I've heard nothing but good things about them but have never had the opportunity to shoot one.

I really like the Kimber for a carry gun but I want a true 1911 now with a 4 or 5in barrel.

Pros - thin, very lite weight, the frame is aluminum and doesn't rust, great accuracy, easy to conceal, fun to shoot, and price

Cons - 3" barrel not as reliable as full size 1911, no barrel bushing, bead blast frame scratches easy, aluminum frame wears faster, and the slide is not tight on the frame like other 1911s

That model Glock you say feels big is smaller, thinner than most compact pistols. The 1911 is going to feel huge if you think the Glock is big. Stay away from .45acp, no matter what make it's going to be much thicker than that G23 you have. If it's thickness you are worried about and think the Glock is to thick, you are down to smaller "pocket guns". Try a PM9, they are great little guns. How about a S&W bodyguard?

I will 2nd the Kahrs. I have a CW40 and CW 9. I usually carry the CW9 but like them both. The only thing is that the 40 is a little snappy in that small of a gun, the 9mm is much easier to reaquire your target after each shot.

I've heard good things about the new Springfield XDS, Smith & Wesson M&P Shield, and the Walther PPQ. The Springfield only comes in .45 but is only 1" wide. These are ones I would consider conceal carry guns not home defense, but I guess they will work for either. Good luck finding what you want.

Carry: 1911 - since it's a single stack it's thinner & more comfortable to carry.

Home Defense: 12 gauge - you can get a new Mossberg Maverick for a little over $200 if you're no a budget.

The Springfield 1911 GI (fullsize) that I had was noticably thinner than the Glock. Any single stack 1911 is going to be thinner than the Glock. I'm leaning towards either the Kimber or Springfield or the PPS.

Hopefully I can get out and look at them soon.

The Springfield XD 90 feels slimmer than the Glock and holds 16 rounds. 9mm. There are three sizes with the mid size not being too small. I bought the full and liked it better than the Glock for my wife to be able to use as well. Moe affordable, comes with case, 2 clips and ez loader.

The Springfield XD 90 feels slimmer than the Glock and holds 16 rounds. 9mm. There are three sizes with the mid size not being too small. I bought the full and liked it better than the Glock for my wife to be able to use as well. Moe affordable, comes with case, 2 clips and ez loader.

Hate to nit pick but MAGAZINES.....That clip thing makes my skin crawl when a magazine is called a clip. Sorry.

FYI, the new Glock Gen4 models all come with 3 magazines, and a speed loader also.

Archived