Vibrations at 70MPH; 2011 2012 2500/3500HD

"Knew I should have bought a dodge."

Now that's funny....hope you'll enjoy your death wobble:

Death wobble happens in the 2500's with the solid front axle... I had a '94 12 valve back in the day for a rig rocket.. Death wobble is indeed scary.

Everyone I know in the oil patch runs dodge. Their gas jobs are great trucks. I'm not biased. I've been running GM for years. But I've seen the quality of each truck, and how they last, in the most unforgiving conditions. There's a reason I say the D word. You sit in a dodge, it doesn't feel like you're going to break everything you touch, can't say the same for this 2013 GM I bought. The leather is horrid. I'm going to use my Autoglym seat conditioner to see if it helps.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was not aware that GMC offered the 6.2 engine in the 2500HD/3500 trucks, good to know. I don't know about your "leveling kit" but if my truck had the vibration (it does not), I would not put a leveling kit on before I got the vibration fixed. Not sure why all of a sudden you feel the truck feels cheap, but that is your right.

-It came from the dealer with the kit

-It's not a 2500

-You notice the little things once the novelty of a new truck wears off.

-It is cheap. Anyone that says it is not is in denial.

-It came from the dealer with the kit

-It's not a 2500

-You notice the little things once the novelty of a new truck wears off.

-It is cheap. Anyone that says it is not is in denial.

First 1500 that I have heard of having the issue. This section of the forum and this thread is about 2500/3500 so expected that is what you had. Get rid of it if you don't like it. Life is too short.

MY TRUCK STILL HAS VIBRATION AFTER ROAD FORCE BALANCE AND REPLACING 2 TIRES. TOLD BY SERVICE MANAGER THAT REP SAID ITS IN SPEC. NO MORE THEY CAN DO. WILL CONTACT LAW FIRM ON THIS. AT 35,000.00 ITS NOT IN SPEC VIBRATION AT 65 TO 75 ON GO ROADS. MY 2004 ROAD ALOIT BETTER THEN THIS TRUCK. NOT A HAPPY GM CUST. RIGHT NOW. WILL POST MORE AS IT COMES.FIGHT ON NOW. JUST FIX IT.

MY TRUCK STILL HAS VIBRATION AFTER ROAD FORCE BALANCE AND REPLACING 2 TIRES. TOLD BY SERVICE MANAGER THAT REP SAID ITS IN SPEC. NO MORE THEY CAN DO. WILL CONTACT LAW FIRM ON THIS. AT 35,000.00 ITS NOT IN SPEC VIBRATION AT 65 TO 75 ON GO ROADS. MY 2004 ROAD ALOIT BETTER THEN THIS TRUCK. NOT A HAPPY GM CUST. RIGHT NOW. WILL POST MORE AS IT COMES.FIGHT ON NOW. JUST FIX IT.

REBSDEB31,

Have you contacted Customer Service regarding this issue? If so, would you please PM your case number, so I can look into this further for you?

Louis (assisting Tricia)

GM Customer Service

Pull your rear drive shaft and check your pinion shaft/u joint for trueness. A few guys have discovered that the pinion shaft was out of true and causing the drive shaft to shake (no shaft balancing in the world will fix this). I have a hard time believing it is the tires, because so many guys have tried different tires and the vibration is still there.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, I had the vibration problem for the first 20k miles and countless trips to the dealers (yes three different dealers). It kept coming back to the tires. It took 3 sets of tires and a tech that knew what he was doing on the balancing machine while supervised by a gm field engineer. I haven't had a vibration issue since and that was 11k miles ago.

My issue was definitely tire related.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Wow; I was just about make a posting here about my problem. I have a '01 Suburban 2500 though. I have a wicked vibration >55MPH. I balanced the tires myself using a brand new Coates machine at a busy tire retailer (I know the owner). I bought new tires and supervised the balancing. I have replaced the main shaft u-joints and had an expert look at the rear end when I was changing fluid. I have replaced the brake pads, calipers, and rotors. I have replaced both CV shafts. All of this and it has done nothing. Any ideas? I inspected the hub bearings and they seem find. My next step is the change the front hub bearings. Other than that, the front shaft u-joints are OEM (220k miles). Its my understanding that this shaft is idle until the transfer case is activated? Am I incorrect?

Just to append my comment - I removed the front shaft today. both U joints were greased and still moved around freely. I went on a test drive and it was silent. Something is FUBAR with the front shaft on my '01 2500. Removing it took about 10 minutes. I'm curious of any of you with the new series HD's have tried this.

Rebalancing drive shaft made no differrnce on mine. My vibration issue was solved with new tires (3 different sets until it was right)

I just went with Nitto Trails but I put a steering stabilizer on its much louder and more vibration but its related to the aggressive tire not the truck. MY old ATX 2 Michelin's were pretty rock solid But my friends 20" Goodyears did vibrate both are 2011HD's

Just to append my appended comment, I never thought about checking the front differential yoke when I pull the shaft. I checked it today and left the undersides of the truck in horror. The yoke has a lot of movement - the pinion bearings are blown out. Local trans shop says about 4hrs labor and I can supply them with the parts. Looks like I'll be pullin her out for a nice summer project. As this is a thread for the newer trucks that I believe have a slightly different 9.25" front differential, I would be very surprised if yours were bearing issues. It just has to be a bad run of shafts or some mis-alignment by poor design.

Archived