How rare is a 2wd 1500 gmt 400 diesel?

Hello! All 4X2's are rare. In '89 I ordered a GMC club coupe SLE 4X2 with a Getrag 5 speed. In '94 the same was ordered but with the NV4500HD trans as a 63 dollar option! That truck went 140K mile with no problems pulling a 5000 LBS trailer and training two (serial clutch killer!) teenage girls to drive! After signing my life away that I would take in no matter what, the newest is a '11 SLE 4X2 crew NHT. I live in snow country but get by just fine.

Mike

"Rare" and "not desirable" are often used to mean the same thing. Rare is when the manufacturer says they will only build a limited number, and keep that number very low. Not desirable is when an option is just plain not wanted. Like a bench seat, column shift in a first gen Camaro.

The first time I really paid attention to the "limited edition" version was the Corvette Indy Pace Car in 78, all dealers were supposed to get at least one. The Chevy dealer in Peterborough (small city, approx 60k population) still had 3 new of these limited production cars on the lot a year later. Same for the 79 Mustang, local dealer had half dozen in 79, and still had 4 when I moved back to Toronto in 81.

Hello! Here in central Washington it is rare to see a 4X2 truck. I think you said it right that the reason they are rare is because most people (except me!) think they are "not desirable".

Mike

Archived