Official AR Discussion and Photo Thread

Let's talk ARs. All kinds. Lets see what you have, what you've done, and discuss what you plan to do. I'll start off.

I have owned and built a couple of ARs, but right now only have one, a Ruger SR556SC. It's a great shooting rifle, with amazing fit and finish, and a few things to personalize it to my tastes. I primarily use it for range work but plan to do a little pig hunting with it when I'm done building a 6.8 SPC upper.

Right now it wears the following accessories

Magpul PRS Stock

Magpul MOE+ Grip

Magpul Aluminium Trigger Guard

BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 Charging Handle

Magpul B.A.D. Lever

Magpul Ladder Rail Covers

Nikon M-223 3-12x42 Scope with Nikoplex Reticle & ARD

Nikon M-223 Scope Mount

Yankee Hill Machine Bi-Pod Adapter

Harris Bi-Pod

KNS Precision Anti-Rotational Pins

Modded DPMS ambidextrious safety selector.

I plan to add a Giessele SSA trigger and a Gear Sector 2 point sling in the near future.

IMG_0436.jpg

Edited by Sinkhole
  • Like 4

Nice rifle. I love the Troy sights, I see you have them on yours aswell. Do you have the tritium inserts in yours. I wanna have mine sent in to have the inserts one. What sling is that and how do you like it? IS that a BAD-ASS safety?

Edited by Sinkhole

Nice rifles! This is the gun I am looking at investing in next, sinkhole, since you owned a few of these (and anyone else for that matter), can you reccomend an AR brand that would be a good starting point to build off of and why? My main want mods are a red dot scope and forward had grip, but I would guess that I would make more once I bought one...

Don't plan on hunting with it, just range shooting and protecting my family from the Zombie apocolypse...

Nice rifle. I love the Troy sights, I see you have them on yours aswell. Do you have the tritium inserts in yours. I wanna have mine sent in to have the inserts one. What sling is that and how do you like it? IS that a BAD-ASS safety?

They are standand Troy sights no tritium. I mostly use the red dot. The sling is a Gear Selector. I really like the sling; it is very comfortable and easy to switch sides with. Way better than the Magpul MS3 sling. And yes it's a BADASS selector

Edited by NadieLite

Nice rifles! This is the gun I am looking at investing in next, sinkhole, since you owned a few of these (and anyone else for that matter), can you reccomend an AR brand that would be a good starting point to build off of and why? My main want mods are a red dot scope and forward had grip, but I would guess that I would make more once I bought one...

Don't plan on hunting with it, just range shooting and protecting my family from the Zombie apocolypse...

There are more good ARs than one can count. A price range is definitly needed to recommend something. My Ruger bone stock was $1499. But good ARs can be had in the 700-900 range. A couple of resonably priced brands to look into would be Stag Arms (one of my favorites), Bushmaster, DPMS, Smith & Wesson, Yankee Hill Machine, Del-Ton and Rock River Arms. If it's gonna be a range queen, you really don't need a chrome lined barrel or chrome BCG (Bolt Carrier Group). Models with Quad Rails will cost more also. but if you want a rail get it on the gun new it will be cheaper than changing it down the road. I would also recommend an A4 model (no carry handle), otherwise know as a flat top. This is a must if you want any kind of optics. DI (direct inpingment) guns are gonna be alot cheaper than piston drive guns, like my Ruger, so keep that in mind. I would definitely recommend looking in a basic Stag for your 1st AR. Stag is a division of CMT, who manufactures most of the AR upper and lower recievers out there, they are known to be top quality rifles. I would also recommend you buy something in 5.56, you can then shoot 5.56 and .223. If you buy a .223 chambered gun you can not shoot 5.56. Many companies, like Rock River Arms, offer models chambered in .223 Wylde also. This is good chamber and can fire 5.56 and .223 as well.

Edited by Sinkhole

Let's talk ARs. All kinds. Lets see what you have, what you've done, and discuss what you plan to do. I'll start off.

I have owned and built a couple of ARs, but right now only have one, a Ruger SR556SC. It's a great shooting rifle, with amazing fit and finish, and a few things to personalize it to my tastes. I primarily use it for range work but plan to do a little pig hunting with it when I'm done building a 6.8 SPC upper.

Right now it wears the following accessories

Magpul PRS Stock

Magpul MOE+ Grip

Magpul Aluminium Trigger Guard

BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 Charging Handle

Magpul B.A.D. Lever

Magpul Ladder Rail Covers

Nikon M-223 3-12x42 Scope with Nikoplex Reticle & ARD

Nikon M-223 Scope Mount

Yankee Hill Machine Bi-Pod Adapter

Harris Bi-Pod

KNS Precision Anti-Rotational Pins

Modded DPMS ambidextrious safety selector.

I plan to add a Giessele SSA trigger and a Gear Sector 2 point sling in the near future.

IMG_0436.jpg

That is really cool. I have heard and read much good about the 6.8. I have seen the 6.5 Grendell in action too. Impressive!

I love a my Ruger Guns. I had a Bushmaster AR-15,sold it. But I'd Like to get a Ruger AR flattop someday.

By the way Sinkhole nice AR!

I love my AR's. Top Colt® M4 Roger Super Stock, Magpul Pistol grip Magpul sights

second LWRC Pistol Lower 9mm with 6" upper and AAC Ti-Rant suppressor EOTech XPS2-0 sight

Third Colt® Gov't Carbine .223 with Trijicon ACOG

Fourth not in photo LAR-PDS Pistol

ars.jpg

I love my AR's. Top Colt® M4 Roger Super Stock, Magpul Pistol grip Magpul sights

second LWRC Pistol Lower 9mm with 6" upper and AAC Ti-Rant suppressor EOTech XPS2-0 sight

Third Colt® Gov't Carbine .223 with Trijicon ACOG

Fourth not in photo LAR-PDS Pistol

ars.jpg

Those are nice, I especially like the Colt on the Top.

5.56 BCM 14.5" Upper with pinned flashhider to make legal

Daniel Defense RIS II

Spikes Lower with Geissele SD3G

Aimpoint T1

It's a M4A1 Block II clone when I use my other lower.

photo-31.jpg

photo-32.jpg

Matt,

How do you like the Spikes lower, I just bought an AAC 300 Blackout upper and was going to put it on an extra RRA lower I have, But may want something better.

Any ideas,

Bobby

• 3 weeks later...

So with the talk of military style guns and gun laws in general becoming stricter coming up the next election, it pushed me to drop some $ on an AR.

Ended up getting the S&W M&P AR15 22.Great gun and reviews for the price. Only thing that sucks about it is the non collapsible stock on it that is "NY Legal". And I dont think i can get a muzzle tip for it either..?? Flash hider?? This is my first real gun, so please feel free to give me some tips about it or accessories for it.

The first think I want to buy before shooting it (zeroing it in ) is a red dot scope. My dad has a Ruger 10 22, and has the TRUGLO on it with reg / green dot, and i love it. Not sure how good of a unit it is , but looks great.

Heres some pics of the setup. I allready got a 500 rd box of Blazer LR. , Case , extra Mag,

2012-07-28_16-50-21_627.jpg

2012-07-28_16-47-47_418.jpg

Edited by 06Z71Silvy

5.56 BCM 14.5" Upper with pinned flashhider to make legal

Daniel Defense RIS II

Spikes Lower with Geissele SD3G

Aimpoint T1

It's a M4A1 Block II clone when I use my other lower.

photo-31.jpg

photo-32.jpg

Matt,

How do you like the Spikes lower, I just bought an AAC 300 Blackout upper and was going to put it on an extra RRA lower I have, But may want something better.

Any ideas,

Bobby

All the lowers are made by 3 major compaines I think. So it really doesn't matter which lower you use. We have 5 Spike's lowers and they are all nice. If I had the money I would buy a Billet Larue lower.