Official AR Discussion and Photo Thread

One of my friends has an AR-15 in .223. Needless to say, that's not a practical gun for me, I need something I can hunt deer with. But after shooting it some I really like it. My question is, (little off topic) what do y'all think of the Remington R15? My understanding is I can get it in .30-06, which is perfect for deer. How is it on parts interchangeability, etc?

Remington R15 450

Remington R25 308

Either one of those will knock down any North American game you throw at it. I have not heard of a 30.06 in their R model. The R model is an awesome gun.

I shoot my Remington 700 VTR. 308 and take out Mule deer every time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by JdubUB

You don't need 30-06 for white tail. 308, 270 or 6.8 SPC are all perfect for deer and readily available in the AR platform. I personally have never heard of an AR offered in 30-06. It's a long round for the AR platform.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Ended up ordering the Magpul MOE handguard. Hopefully it is better insulated than the standard type. Regardless, it has a shroud to cover the gas block/front sight post which is good as I was somehow dumb enough to touch that yesterday. :lol: I also ordered the vertical grip add-on in case it still gets hot. Oh and more PMags. :D

So this is my first rifle- I cleaned it and my pistols earlier but I don't want to overlook anything on it. I of course cleaned the barrel, removed the BCG and cleaned up that and left everything with a light coat of oil. Does anything else need to be done? I've heard of other rifles needing the gas tube cleaned, is that a concern with this?

You won't be disappointed with Magpul products. They are awesome. My brother-in-law just picked up an M&P-15 and added some Magpul furniture. The pic is a few posts back.

You won't be disappointed with Magpul products. They are awesome. My brother-in-law just picked up an M&P-15 and added some Magpul furniture. The pic is a few posts back.

Yeah PMags are all I have (10 already, 5 more coming with these bits). Oh, and I also have a Magpul iPhone case. :lol: I'm fairly happy with the rest of the rifle as it sits. Wouldn't mind a stock with some sort of rubber on the backside of it, my current one has a checkered pattern that feels just a bit abrasive just wearing a T-shirt. We'll see.

I have the MOE+ grip on mine love the feel. I had an MOE stock, hand guard and MOE+ grip on my old rifle and loved them. If you look at the 1st post in this thread you'll see the list of parts on my rifle.

I would be fine with a .308. I don't doubt that either that or a .270 would have a problem knocking a deer down, both are good fast rounds, .30-06 is just my favorite round.

If I got the R25 in .308 I would just be using a 5 round mag. Hornady bullets. I think I'd still have trouble justifying it, I can get a really nice Ruger M77 bolt for that much money...

Edited by kstruckcountry

yeah a M77 would be nice. But there is certain something about an AR

Sharp looking! Bummer you live in Connecticut with all those stupid rules.

yeah a M77 would be nice. But there is certain something about an AR

Sharp looking! Bummer you live in Connecticut with all those stupid rules.

Yeah, it has it's draw backs.

Yeah, it has it's draw backs.

The rules just make no sense-

No bayonet lug. Yeah, because of all those brutal bayonet attacks we have.

No adjustable stock because having the gun fit the person shooting it better and improving safety is a horrible idea.

No flash hider because the stupid liberals misunderstand what it does.

Ordered a BCM Gunfighter charging handle. I haven't even shot mine yet and didn't like how weak the stock one feels.

Came today and threw it on during lunch. I like it! should be much easier to use if I ever get a scope.