2002 5.3L Using Oil 155,&&& Miles

XRMAN

Question

I have a 2002 GMC K1500 with the 5.3L V8. I bought the truck when it was new. I'm running 10w30 with a qt. of lucas oil treatment. I noticed this yr. going into the 150,000 mile range while towing using 3rd gear tow haul, running 70 MPH around 3000 to 3200 RPM I'm using about a qt. of oil when driving 200 miles. I'm towing maybe 2000 lb. trailer,and hauling my dirtbike in the truck. running mid grade gas.

What would be the most likely problem with my eng.? Doesn't use hardly any oil when driving it like a car 2 and from work. Spark knocks bad,and blows big clouds of what I think is carbon out exhaust when under had pull.

3 answers to this question

Your probably better off towing with the C10. Install a Gear Vendors tranny splitter & your mileage would probably be better than the '02. Parts are cheaper, & with less dough than a new one, can be built much tougher & with more power.

Cheaper than a rebuild or new engine for the '02 -- probably worn rings from the sound of it. My theory is the cylinders are worn out-of-round, so when you put a load on it, the pistons are cocked at BDC enough to allow more oil past the rings. Compression & leakdown test will let you know just how worn everything is.

Nice C10, btw! I tried selling my '07 on eBay so I could buy one of those and a winter beater, but nobody wants to PAY. Guess I'm stuck with it ... :nonod:

I have a blue 1968 C15 GMC. My user photo is a truck I'd like to have to drive everyday. I kinda was thinking the same on the engine,but don't know much about the LS Based engine. I was getting around 10-10.5 towing with the 02'. Thanks for the info,make me even more to get older truck I can build to my taste. Guess the hunt starts for K1500....HAHA. Thanks Chris

I'm running 10w30 with a qt. of lucas oil treatment.

Lot of good that has done you. Use good oil you don't need snake oil additives.

Archived