How long should brakes last??

That depends more on you as the driver than anything else. If you drive agressively, or in city type driving, or tend to use brakes on hills vs gears then the brakes won't last as long. If all highway and gentle on brakes and use gears in trans vs brakes they will last longer. What do you use your truck for? What kind of roads (or lack of) do you drive on? How aggresive of a driver are you?

Not trying to be a smartalic but there is no forumla to answer the question. Personally I rotate my own tires and always do a brake inspection at the time to ensure I still have pads and shoes. My factories last about 60k, but that was a lot of highway driving. Now I drive primarily city type driving and only have 40k on these brakes and may not last quite as long.

it all really depends on how you drive and what kind of brake pads you have. if you live in a very hilly environment your pads will wear a lot fast from normal driving whereas if you live in florida where its all flat, its a lot easier on brakes.

some people have their original pads last to 80 100k. typically old people.

pads for me would last around around 45k if that.

"How long should brakes last?"

That's like asking : How long should a roll of toilet paper last....... it depends on how you use it.

DEWFPO

Thats what I thought. My original OE pads were good for at least 40 or 50k. I know its a ridiculous question but I only ask because about 20k miles ago I had my shop do the front rotors and pads and I asked for OE HEAVY DUTY pads (I supplied rotors). Well 20k later I noticed my new rotors are starting to grind down uneven and putting lines in them. I am just pissed because I usually do them myself but for what ever reason I had them do it and I think these are just crappy pads.

I just did the rear rotors and pads and used Hawk Heavy Duty, I think I will have to put set on front.

sometimes you get a set of pads that will wear really fast. i have had good luck with federal pads

never heard of them, are they ceramic or semi-matalic?

• 2 weeks later...

it all really depends on how you drive and what kind of brake pads you have. if you live in a very hilly environment your pads will wear a lot fast from normal driving whereas if you live in florida where its all flat, its a lot easier on brakes.

some people have their original pads last to 80 100k. typically old people.

pads for me would last around around 45k if that.

Guess I must be old :P I have 70k on mine and haven't thought about replacing them.

My 02 1500 had 50k and still were thick. I replaced them because they had cracks in the pad material. If I wouldn't have pulled the caliper and looked I would not have changed them until 70-80k. My commute is 4 mi round trip on a country road, I drive fast but never use much brake.

Archived