Questions About Towing And What To Do!

I have an 04 Silverado Z71 with a 5.3L in it. I do alot of Quading and travel to dunes all over the place and am always towing a trailer with quads on it. We have been using my dads duramax for the long trips and mine for the short trips. I recently got a 5x14 enclosed trailer. Im going to be puttting about 800-1000lbs worth of quads inside it. Question is, can and should i be towing all that with my 1500 and if so is there anything i can do to make pulling easier? Or should i just start saving and get in the market for a 2500 0r 3500 truck? Some info on this would be appreciated! Just seems like alot of weight to go on 16 hour drive round trip trips a few times a year.

That's plenty of truck for that IMO. Mine pulls that much weight fine.

Ok, my concern was wearing it out. Would be cool if i could just use this truck instead of forking out the cash for a HD.

i tow ATV's a lot too and they are not that heavy. if your only towing on weekends or every other weekend its nothing to worry about. yeah a 2500 will tow better then a 1500 obviously.

when im towing that much weight i usually drop it down into 3rd before a big hill so it its not as hard of a shift and when i come to a hill ill drop it into 2nd to make it easier on the brakes.

i tow ATV's a lot too and they are not that heavy. if your only towing on weekends or every other weekend its nothing to worry about. yeah a 2500 will tow better then a 1500 obviously.

when im towing that much weight i usually drop it down into 3rd before a big hill so it its not as hard of a shift and when i come to a hill ill drop it into 2nd to make it easier on the brakes.

Cool thanks for the info. I usually go to the oregon coast and back 2 times and to st anthoneys 1 or 2 times a year. Both are about 8 hour drives one way. With the new enclosed trailer, i just wasnt sure if i should succumb my truck to that. But if it can handle it then i wont waist the coin on a new truck!

You have nothing to worry about. A 5.3 is plenty of motor and a half ton is plenty of truck (especially if you have 3.73 rear end) to pull that amount of weight.

Thanks! How do i know if i have a 3.73 rear end?

I believe my 5.3 afm with factory tow package and factory trailer brake setup is rated to tow about 9500lbs. Im sure your 5.3 with whatever package should be able to tow 1000lbs worth of atvs plus the trailer. I mean, the trailer probably weighs like 2500 or less right. So less than 4k easy. I wouldn't sweat it. Some on here are looking for an excuse to buy a diesel. If that's the case, then you need a diesel.... :)

Drop it to third, hit the Tow/Haul button, listen to it hum. Help it a little along as you approach a hill, and you'll avoid constant downshifting. When it does downshift to second, let her rev; she likes it. Get an Aeroforce Interceptor and monitor your transmission temps.

I tow a 5-6000# trailer with an 06 with 5.3, 3.42. Wish I had 4.10's, but I used the above prescription last week on a 1300 mile round trip, and enjoyed the drive.

I believe my 5.3 afm with factory tow package and factory trailer brake setup is rated to tow about 9500lbs. Im sure your 5.3 with whatever package should be able to tow 1000lbs worth of atvs plus the trailer. I mean, the trailer probably weighs like 2500 or less right. So less than 4k easy. I wouldn't sweat it. Some on here are looking for an excuse to buy a diesel. If that's the case, then you need a diesel.... :)

Thanks for the info. Ya the trailer is acutally 2000 pounds. I guess i am a little over zealous. Dont need a diesel lol. Would love to have one but idk if i want to fork out the extra money hence this thread. Its good to know if have options!

nice, id love to go out there sometime to ride. what kind out atvs do you have?

find a VIN decoder online and enter your VIN

I have 2 Raptors. One is a Raptor 700 with a few mods. The other is a turbo 778 pushing a ton of HP! Its my baby. Bad ass quad!

Drop it to third, hit the Tow/Haul button, listen to it hum. Help it a little along as you approach a hill, and you'll avoid constant downshifting. When it does downshift to second, let her rev; she likes it. Get an Aeroforce Interceptor and monitor your transmission temps.

I tow a 5-6000# trailer with an 06 with 5.3, 3.42. Wish I had 4.10's, but I used the above prescription last week on a 1300 mile round trip, and enjoyed the drive.

Thanks for the info!

You have nothing to worry about. A 5.3 is plenty of motor and a half ton is plenty of truck (especially if you have 3.73 rear end) to pull that amount of weight.

I do have the 3.73 rear end!

Take the turbo off the Raptor and put it on the truck when you're towing, then swap the turbo back on the Raptor when you're riding.... :crackup:

My 1500 would pull a lot of weight no problem, pulled a 8.5x20x12(tall) trailer once or twice, no problems. Just don't be in a hurry.

I tow a 30 ft. 7200# loaded TT with my 01, 107,000 mile Seirra 1500 with the 5.3. Pulls great on flat straights 65 mph. If I hit inclines and give er hell it will stay at that speed but I general let er slow a bit. If mine can tow that you should have no problem at all with your trailer.

Archived