Bad Coil Pack or Something Else?

I have a 2000 Chevy tahoe with a 5.3L engine in it. Its been having a hard time starting on first start. You try to start it and it cranks almost starts then dies. On the second try it always fires up perfect it seems like. It idles fine and doesnt stumble on acceleration so im confused and cant figure out what is wrong with this thing. Any help suggestions or anything is appreciated!

Recently my gas gauge started acting up too. One time it works fine the other it says empty and the light will come on. Its very irratic!

I'd check fuel supply and regulator

Called up the guy at napa whos also a mechanic and he said it may not just be the fuel pump or delivery system but could be a sensor or vaccuum leak........

My 2000 did this before was the fuel pressure regulator, it would let the engine flood if it set for a while and that would lead to a tough/long first start.

The gas guage is a common failure and doesn't affect anything else. Never a bad time to change the fuel filter but I really think its the regulator.

Forgot to mention pull the vacuum hose off the regulator if there is gas in there it is for sure bad.

My 2000 did this before was the fuel pressure regulator, it would let the engine flood if it set for a while and that would lead to a tough/long first start.

The gas guage is a common failure and doesn't affect anything else. Never a bad time to change the fuel filter but I really think its the regulator.

Forgot to mention pull the vacuum hose off the regulator if there is gas in there it is for sure bad.

Awesome good to hear you had the same vehicle with this problem. Ill get right on that! Thanks so much

Where is the FPR on this? Thanks

I believe this is answered in one of your other threads. You've got 3 threads running on this subject. You only need one. Pick one and stick with it. Best to have just one, Easier for everyone to keep up and not post redundant info.

You might want to pick up a service manual at a parts store. It'll help with some work on your vehicle

Where is the FPR on this? Thanks

on the middle of the drives side fuel rail. has a clip holding it in and a vacuum line going to it.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the coil packs, injectors (ok everything electrical) should get tagged byt he PCM if bad (or mis-firing). I'd suspect dirty MAF, fuel (dirty, low pressure), or vacuum leak if there is no FI light.

Have you taken a fuel pressure reading or are you just throwing parts at it?

Throwing parts. I dont have a gauge. Did what i thought it was. All my research pointed toward the FPR. I drove it to my friends, replaced it and it took forever to start. I drove it home, let it sit and tried again. Still hard as hell to start. It was just fine only having problems on first start of the day before. So maybe there is still air in the lines idk...

Any ideas? Could there be air in the line from doing that? Cause the second start up it fires up and it wasnt bad like this until i changed that out. ANy help is appreciated. I need this thing running right!

Archived