Sierra shock suggestions

Hey guys, Ive got a 99 Sierra 5.3l, 4 wheel drive, 1/2 ton. Judging by the looks and the ride, I think the shocks may be original. If not, they still need to be changed. I would like to hear some suggestions on replacements. I do plan to pull a camper though. So maybe different ones for front and rear. Thanks

I know in the Dodge/Cummins world, the short answer was always Bilstein.

I have ran Monroe Reflex, Monroe Gas Magnums, Gabrial Gas, Trailmaster Hydros, and KYB...they were all about the same on my last 2500 Ram. None lasted that long, typically 40k before one or more started to leak (traded that truck with 267k miles). One of the former resident GM guys ran Edlebrocks on his 1500 Silverado, not sure how they worked out for him.

Almost all of them are made by Tenaco, which is primarily Walker/Monroe. Even the shocks on my 2012 are stamped Tenaco/Monroe.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Rancho 9000XL shocks you have 9 adjustment settings so you can have them firmer with a load in the bed and have the rear shocks at a firmer setting than the front shocks and dial them in. For non adjustable shocks with a load the Bilstein work very well and hold up well over time.

With GM trucks and SUV's I have never had them last for more than 30,000 miles and not been surprised when they have failed much sooner than that with leaking seals.

• 1 month later...

I have had Rancho's and didn't care for them on past vehicles. I just installed a set of Napa/Monroe "Reflex" shocks on my truck and so far have been happy with them. I don't do the Baja and other than logging roads during Elk season I don't beat on her too hard. Lifetime warranty so why not I figured.

Archived