Bad rear bearings?

I have a 2006 Silverado, 4.8L V8 crew cab 2wd with about 108,000 miles. Lately I have been noticing a high-pitched humming or "whirring" noise while driving above 35 or so mph. It sounds like I have mudding tires or something like that, but I don't. I think it is coming from the rear, as best I can tell while driving. It seems like it may be getting worse. Is it the rear bearings? I have looked to see what is involved in replacing the rear bearings, but pretty much only see the front bearings being addressed. So how hard of a job is this?

Thanks.

Don't know about rear bearing but these trucks were notorious for front bearing failure. Either way, get the bearing (front and rear) checked out and repaired/replaced as soon as possible. The front are pretty easy to check and replace on these trucks. Never messed with rear bearings, I would leave that job to a pro on my truck.

To add, I just got new tires and alignment today and they said they would check to make sure there was no play in the wheels. If the bearings were going, wouldn't there be some play in the wheels? Which I would assume a shop would jump at the chance to tell me of another problem for them to fix.

In the front there will be noticeable movement up/down and/or side to side. You can easily check it yourself by jacking up the front wheels. Do a search on youtube for hub bearings for a great video showing you exactly what to look for. Not sure in the rear, never had a rear bearing go bad.

Front wheel bearings do not have to have play in them to be noisy. Does the sound change if you turn the steering wheel slightly from side to side? Rear axle bearings are more difficult to diagnose. If there is any play up and down, chances are the axle bearings are shot. You need to be careful about not letting rear axle bearing noise go on for too long, the axle itself is part of the bearing. Once the axle is scored or damaged by the rollers in the bearing, it starts to get real expensive. To check the bearings, you need to remove diff cover to get at the c-clips holding the axles in. This may also be diff carrier bearing noise or pinion bearing noise. If the noise only happens at a certain speed, and only if the truck is just maintaining that speed (not speeding up or slowing down, just coasting) it could be a ring and pinion noise. That noise is very hard to describe how it sounds. More like a whine that fades in and out, almost a hunting, ringing, siren type noise. Sorry for the long paragraph, I am using IE10 with Windows 8 and for some reason, it will not get a new line or paragraph when I press enter.

• 4 months later...

Just picked up a 2000 Tahoe for my wife. Put about 400-500 miles on it so far. Last long drive (about 300 miles), I noticed a very subtle whistling/screaming from the passenger rear end. First suspicion was brake clips (used to warn of low pad depth) as the pitch/intensity would change and/or dissappear depending on the lateral force (right or left tension). I also thought it might be an axle bearing but the brake noise seemed most logical. Just made a 60 mile drive, noticed the noise, not too much thought about it, couldn't hear it with radio on, could notice it when the cabin was quiet though. Didn't seem to affect the coasting/driving/power/control until I reached my driveway. As I turned the corner (left hand) right before my driveway, and as I turned into the driveway (left hand), the rear end (as far as I could tell) made some serious mechanical popping and straining like the wheels were locked and wouldn't "slip" for the turn. Not a pretty sound for sure. I backed out of my driveway, and on the rather tight turns, it would follow suit on the tension. drove about 50 feet with no problems straight line, reversed to my driveway, pulled back in forwards (right turn) and the symptom seemed not as severe. I read a forum post about the possibility of a failing differential. I dropped the lower drain plug on the differential just enough to allow a squirt to drop. looked and smelled normal, no metal bits and not a burned aroma. I removed the right rear tire and discovered that the rear brake system is a disk/drum combo (disk for normal braking, drum for parking brake). The subtle whistle/scream was from the inside disk sheild, rusted, deteriorating and getting flimsey enough to contact the turning disk at higher speeds (>40mph is where it was noticable). I did sense that in reverse out of a parking stall or similar action, it felt like the front wheels were in 4WD (jumping/grabbing) over the past couple of weeks, so I am now terrified that the transmission is going to crap out. The trans fluid feels good, isnt too dark and isn't gritty. I'm not convinced it is the rear bearings. Noticed a tiny bit of left/right play in the axle when I had the disk off and could see the axle seal area. Looked clean, no up/down or front/back play. This further is freakin me out about a posible trans problem.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on? Appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks, Purple.

Wow. Quite the welcome to a new member. I believe Purplebeard probably saw a thread with an issue similar to his and went for it. Sorry I can't help either of you, but I will welcome you both.

In all seriousness he would get a better response by starting his own thread.

Sent from my Nokia 5190 using Tapatalk 2

No one on this board is "rude" in any fashion, if you want to know what rude is check out "LS1.com", one of the worst boards I have ever run into, from the admins down to the posters.

Sometimes people post bluntly. They don't mean to be rude, just stating the info. Don't read more into it than there is

If that is what I did then that is my bad. I just wouldn't want to see a new member/first time poster get run off. Perhaps I should let things run their course before attempting to intercede next time. My apologies to all involved.

Archived