help with fixing check engine light

Just recently, my check engine light went on. I plugged in my scan tool to it and it displayed it was an evaporative issue. I checked and replaced my gas cap (i'm told its on the same circuit). I further asked my father (used to be GM mechanic) who advised to me the issue may be the charcoal cannister. I tried finding it, but i can't. In my 87 T/A, its right in the engine compartment but i couldnt find it anywhere in the engine compartment. Since i put a 1.5" body lift and a 2.5" leveling kit and 3" rear block, we're thinking a hose may have become disconnected. But, i can't find it. Anyone have any further advice or info on where i can atleast locate the charcoal cannister to investigate that?

Thanks

ok i looked up the code again. its the P0449 code for the evaporative solenoid. My father had an ingenious idea to strike the solenoid a half dozen times with his and and a small rock, just like you may do for a starter solenoid. After that, i cleared the code and the check engine light has been staying off.

Does anyone know if this is covered by the dealer? the warranty say 2 years or 12k miles for small emissions problems, 3 years or 36k miles for moderate emissions problems or 8 years or 80k miles for large emissions problems. I dont know if this would fall under a large problem though, my bumper to bumper expired in may

Archived