Scratches on New GMC

So I bought a new black 2012 GMC Sierra extended cab. I found the truck online and had the dealer meet me halfway to pick it up. It was dark when I picked it up so it was hard to take a good look at it. Upon closer inspection earlier today I noticed some slight scratches in driver's side box side where the rear fender flares out. The truck has been on the lot since July so I'm assuming some ass rubbed up against it while it was on the lot. I haven't called the dealer yet, but what do you think they will do for me? It's not noticeable unless you're looking for it and should buff out. I'm pretty meticulous with paint and this bothers me a bit since the truck only has 500 miles.

This is my first black vehicle and I think this color is going to kill me as every little blemish will be noticeable.

On a positive note, I'm loving the truck and the power of the 6.2.

You bought the wrong color if u don't want scrathes :jester: mines black and its scratched to hell and I baby it. I've given up and only complain about dints and rust now lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the black truck club! Learn to like scratches. Comes free with the color.

That should so be the club slogan lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

I suggest fixing it yourself. Like stated above it could come out worse

Ryan

If you have never run a high speed buffer, I wouldn't suggest learning on your new truck. if you want to do the hand rub methods go for it, hell the cheapy buffer a the part store do not turn fast enough to burn your paint. When I buff I run my buffer around 4500 rpm and if you stay to long in a spot in a hot day escpecially on a hot day it is a very effective method for stripping paint. Trust me I have burnt paint jobs before and i have fixed paint jobs people have burnt so take the fix it your self loosely as some stuff is best left to a proffessional.

Whatever they do to "fix" the scratches might be worse!

AMEN TO THAT!!!

Run your hand over the "scratches", if you can not really feel them, a good detailer can get them out, if you can feel them they are through the clear coat and need repaint.

My truck is black and got delivered to me with 2 large scratches on the passenger door. I had to wait a day for them to fix it which was hard cause I wanted the truck right then.

Anyways you could never tell there was any scratches after not sure why these guys are saying they would make it worse. You bought a new truck, should come to you in perfect shape.

I'm definitely not touching new black paint with a buffer. I don't trust someone I don't know touching it either. If I get swirls from someone I don't know trying to fix it, I will be pissed! I always clay bar my vehicles before waxing to avoid swirling as much as possible.

I know a place that can do it, but I'm thinking the dealer should pay for it. The thought of having to buff out a brand new truck makes me sick! Its not really that bad, I might just live with it until spring. I'll post pics later if it will show up on the camera.

AMEN TO THAT!!!

Run your hand over the "scratches", if you can not really feel them, a good detailer can get them out, if you can feel them they are through the clear coat and need repaint.

It's not through the clear coat, just a surface scratch.

My truck is black and got delivered to me with 2 large scratches on the passenger door. I had to wait a day for them to fix it which was hard cause I wanted the truck right then.

Anyways you could never tell there was any scratches after not sure why these guys are saying they would make it worse. You bought a new truck, should come to you in perfect shape.

Generally speaking dealerships are not known for the best detailers, their people are usually just there to wash and quickly prep the vehicle. When I have my Denali professionally detailed, it always takes between 2 to 2 1/2 hours to complete the job inside and out.

AMEN TO THAT!!!

Good to hear, a professional detailer can get them out WITHOUT using a high speed buffer.

I was saying they "could" make it worse. If they tried to repaint the color might not match and it would never be as good as factory. I feel for you guys in black , I really do!

Generally speaking dealerships are not known for the best detailers, their people are usually just there to wash and quickly prep the vehicle. When I have my Denali professionally detailed, it always takes between 2 to 2 1/2 hours to complete the job inside and out.

AMEN TO THAT!!!

Good to hear, a professional detailer can get them out WITHOUT using a high speed buffer.

it has nothing to do with if the detailer uses a buffer as all proffessionals do be it to buff or apply wax, it is his choice in product and pad that make the job next to experience. Products very in cut (kind of like sand paper grits). The issue with black is most compounds will leave a swirl so you have to apply a swirl remover/paint cleaner to remove excess product and or haze. most scratches can be removed with out being to agressive and some have to be color sanded. Alot of car will come back looking like the scratch was fixed but when the wax wears off it show back up. One of my good friends is well know in my area for high end details (he is invited to detail cars every year at the concourse de elegance) mixes his own stuff that consists of a medium cut diluted with a carbuba wax and talk about an amazing shine.

I'm definitely not touching new black paint with a buffer. I don't trust someone I don't know touching it either. If I get swirls from someone I don't know trying to fix it, I will be pissed! I always clay bar my vehicles before waxing to avoid swirling as much as possible.

I know a place that can do it, but I'm thinking the dealer should pay for it. The thought of having to buff out a brand new truck makes me sick! Its not really that bad, I might just live with it until spring. I'll post pics later if it will show up on the camera.

Not going to happen. I would be pissed too BUT once you take delivery of the vehicle, it's out of their hands. Never, ever, get a vehicle when it's raining or dark outside because you can't see what it really looks like. Your best bet is to do it yourself. Chances are it will come back from the dealership looking like a giant swirl if they say they will "fix" it.

Archived