2014 sierra/silverado, Still going to be gmt-900??

Sorry, I meant 5.9 24 valve... I'm not as familiar with the 3rd gens. Most of the ones I'm around are 2nd gen 12 valve.

Yeah, that explains 21MPG!

An old 12 vavle, hmmmmmm, They just get better the older you go!

160HP/400ft.pds!

How come that felt so good back then?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine has a 97, 300k miles. With his old setup, he made 434 hp, but more importantly, over 1000 tq. He had a compound setup ready to put on, but instead he turned it back down. I'll see if I can dig up the video.

Cool!

I just love listening to old diesels!

Yea me too.. I love hearing it! These new new diesels dont even sound like a real diesel.

Do the 6.7,s still sound like the older cummins or no? Someone said its the emmisions shit that quiets them..Is that true?

Im not proud of leaning towards a dodge..Its just that mega cab i love. HAve you guys seen those long bed conversion companys,

They stick an 8' bed on the mega cab trucks..most of them with 4-6" of lift and they do look pretty awesome!

I would like to see that video too!! I gotta get a video up of mine for you guys too I keep forgetting.

And ya Yukon they are quiet because of the emissions and the injection systems are a lot more efficient/complicated than they used to be. Duramax runs a rail pressure up to 26k...the 6.7 doesn't sound near as good old 12v 5.9...the new turbos used play a big role as well. They all used VGT style turbos I think, quiets them down some. Plus the dpfs/def system...

His is at 7:41.

Apparently the camera man was infatuated with the smoke cloud.

One 12 valve makin real power, all the other cummins just had a huge set of smokey injectors LOL. I like that big 24 valve one, all kinds of smoke...300hp LOL. Cool video tho, I wanna put my truck on dyno see some real numbers. I've been told that compound turbo trucks have hard time building boost on a chassis dyno tho...

Oh man! There's a Dodge in there that looks just like my old one! Gotta say its the old Fords that bring back the most memories for me.

This is what I mean when I say diesels "used" to be cool...................did you hear those things?

chevyboy and hemicat, you guys seem very knowlegable, Can you take a look at my 'raylar heads' post in engine&powertrain and let me know what you think..it has 260 views with no responses.

the first time i called raylar about the heads ray who isnt there anymore said $2600.. I called a week ago and the dude said $7000 and i lost my mind, He called back and said the pair of complete heads are $3100 which is much better and garuntee 80 ft lbs of tq..

So i was debating on having a stock set of 8.1 heads worked/port/polish to try to meet the raylat specs.

chevyboy and hemicat, you guys seem very knowlegable, Can you take a look at my 'raylar heads' post in engine&powertrain and let me know what you think..it has 260 views with no responses.

the first time i called raylar about the heads ray who isnt there anymore said $2600.. I called a week ago and the dude said $7000 and i lost my mind, He called back and said the pair of complete heads are $3100 which is much better and garuntee 80 ft lbs of tq..

So i was debating on having a stock set of 8.1 heads worked/port/polish to try to meet the raylat specs.

K

When it comes to serious mods, Chevyboy has way more experience than me- it's just not my thing.

When it comes to serious mods, Chevyboy has way more experience than me- it's just not my thing.

Not really, everything I have done was flyin by the seat if my pants LOL. To tell you the truth. I did do some port/polish work tho, on sleds, bikes few other things. Decked a few heads as well, I'm a machinist so I tend to fiddle with shit. I have(had) a few close buddies that were awesome with engine work...the truck I have now has been a real good learning experience as well...LOTS of expensive parts to break!!! I commented on his thread, I'll do some diggin around see if I can help him out.

Yukon where you from??

Archived