In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
99 2500

New DI V8 ?

I have a had a 5 of the 5.3 engines in the 900 platform, with varying mileage; highest having about 70,000 miles and had no issues with oil nor reliability. I am not saying that the 5.3 is a power house, nor that others haven't had trouble. I have used Mobil 1 in all of mine and they haven't had any mechanical failures or immense oil burning.

I am really happy to see anyone with no oil consumption trouble. But until anyone sees their 30k+ truck with the heads jerked off, they will never understand the feeling. Kudos to Gm for stepping up and fixing those of us with the lemons. i vote die AFM.

Edited by hillbilly4u

I have a had a 5 of the 5.3 engines in the 900 platform, with varying mileage; highest having about 70,000 miles and had no issues with oil nor reliability. I am not saying that the 5.3 is a power house, nor that others haven't had trouble. I have used Mobil 1 in all of mine and they haven't had any mechanical failures or immense oil burning.

I am really happy to see anyone with no oil consumption trouble. But until anyone sees their 30k+ truck with the heads jerked off, they will never understand the feeling. Kudos to Gm for stepping up and fixing those of us with the lemons. i vote die AFM.

Amen to that......New Pistons and rings..etc at 50,000 miles for me. Its been great ever since..

Just out of curiosity, what indicates that the oil problems some have seen is related to the AFM?

Just out of curiosity, what indicates that the oil problems some have seen is related to the AFM?

GM has a TSB that looks at the AFM system as one potential culprit. Specifically, they add a return oil splash guard in the oil pan area. I don't recall any other GM notice that points directly at AFM as the "cause". There are many causes for oil burning, but it's possible (likely) that a motor that would normally burn oil anyways, is going to burn more w/ the return oil spraying (splashing?) towards the pistons (?). My opinion is that if a motor is running pretty "tight" to begin with, it probably isn't going to burn much oil, regardless of some extra splashing around. My old Kohler cast iron tractor motor (a whopping 14 hp) "splashes" oil into the piston bore by design.

Found this picture on the web and wondering if it's the Gen V engine: post-6609-0-29506400-1350938117_thumb.jpg

After looking at the picture and seeing a tiny blue square on his company I.D. tag along with the blue oil filter..............I would say that yes, it is a GM engine!!

I absolutely hated the AFM. I traded my 2011 5.3 for a 2011 6.2 because I HATED the oil sucking engine. I wish AFM dies a horrible death.

Sounds like you made the same mistake as me. Just remember though, and that through a lot of research, you would have stood a good chance of not having problems with oil consumptiion!! You should have put the darn thing in M5 around town and then tuned out D.O.D after the 5yr 100,000 mile warranty. Yeah I know, a lot of highway miles............. there still would have been a good chance of not having problems, compared with 2007 and yours being a 2011!!

Most people here seem to agree that the aluminum block has more problems on this subject then the iron block. However, aluminum disapates heat better then iron. I will let you figure out the rest!!

on my dad's dodge it cuts off cylinders no problems and his new chev cuts off cylinders and that has no problems to

^^^^^^^^^^^

The Ram has been pretty good with that so far. I haven't had any issues with my GM afm either but it's been shut off so I guess that really doesn't count. Whatever Chrysler did with their Ram they did it right. You don't see the issues like you did/do with the GM trucks.

Edited by BlackZ71Silverado

Well, from what I read about the lt1 vette motor is that it will have afm and that the size of 6.2 liters was determined because the 5.5 liter motor they where working on for the vette couldn't stay in v4 mode long enough for it to actually benefit fuel economy. So I would say the 6.2 truck motor will have it for sure but idk about the 5.3 or 4.3.

Well i have news for all you guys that have questions about the AFM, It is on the new generation V SB engines, they all switch to V4. :driving:

I had a 2007 with the 5.3 that I put 100k on and changed the oil every 5k. Never had an oil consumption problem. Now I have a 2010 Tahoe with the 5.3 and 45k. I change the oil when the OLM gets to 10% (usually 8-10k). No problems so far. Is there a light or something that comes on telling you the oil is low?

Edited by 07BlueSierra

I have the AFM shut off on my truck...seems to get better mpg's that way and I hated how quiet she got in v4 mode

At least there is an oil dipstick on the new Gen V engine. The new BMWs don't have an oil dipstick no more.