First 30* morning, louder than normal ticking

So this morning we had a first morning below 30 degrees. I started the truck with remote start as I'm walking out the door and noticed a louder than normal ticking. I let it idle for a minute or so and left. I could still hear the ticking as I drove away. I wasn't hard on the throttle. Just let it idle down my driveway with giving it the slightest bit of gas.

I just had a valve spring replaced so I'm not sure if that repair might have caused this. Could this ticking be a lifter or a valve? Is this common?

The truck is an 08 5.3L AFM. I bought the truck new and this is the loudest that I have ever heard it.

Thoughts? I thought about taking to back to the dealer and see what they could find but we'll wait and see on that part.

Co-worker just had a shop change out the valve seals and later on he got some ticking noise, well the other daythe ticking turned into clacking then motor died. Turns out the retainer clip on the valve was worn and gave out. Put a nice hole into the piston and caused some serious damage. Luckily it was warrantied. Getting repaired as we speak lol.

Co-worker just had a shop change out the valve seals and later on he got some ticking noise, well the other daythe ticking turned into clacking then motor died. Turns out the retainer clip on the valve was worn and gave out. Put a nice hole into the piston and caused some serious damage. Luckily it was warrantied. Getting repaired as we speak lol.

What year?

I thought I saw somewhere that there was a tsb out for the initial startup tick. Does anybody know what it is.

Edit: I found the TSB today. If I take my truck in and they confirm they hear the ticking, will they replace the lifters and valve springs as mentioned in the TSB or will they just acknowedge it and not repair it without further instances?

• 1 month later...

Archived