2002 GMC Sierra trailer wiring for electric brakes

longspur

Question

Hello - the Subject is a

2002 GMC sierra 4.3 short bed reg cab 2wd

harness in back is for light duty trailering - 6 wires

I need to have set up for 7 wires heavy duty trailering

I have installed brake controller and done the under dash harness wiring

What do I need to do under the hood? install fuse? wiring? What are the 6 wires out back? do I need to bring other wires and from where?

Thanks for the help

4 answers to this question

Regular 6-wire consists of:

Left turn

Right turn (both combined for brake)

Running lamps

Ground

Back-up (reverse) lamps

Brake power

7-wire adds auxilliary power. You could run that to the fuse block, or direct to the alternator output with the proper fuse sized to whatever it is that you need to run.

WiringPlugDiagramTRAILER.jpg

So is this truck totally prewired then with the exception of the aux power being brought to the back.

It was my understanding that I had to locate a wire under the hood and connect it to the fuse block. I have yet to see any wires that are just laying around waiting to be used. Do I need to install a fuse or anything else.

You have helped out with the pin configuration but the under hood stuff I am still uncertain what has to be done.

Thanks

So is this truck totally prewired then with the exception of the aux power being brought to the back.

It was my understanding that I had to locate a wire under the hood and connect it to the fuse block. I have yet to see any wires that are just laying around waiting to be used. Do I need to install a fuse or anything else.

You have helped out with the pin configuration but the under hood stuff I am still uncertain what has to be done.

Thanks

If I remember correctly all you have to do is to install a fuse in stud 1.....but it's been a long time since I hooked mine up.

After about 5 mins of searching the site I came up with this link.....maybe it will assist you.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-cbc.aspx

Even better.....google is your friend.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Chevy/tech/Prodigy/

My old '99 Silverado had a 7-pin connector from the factory. The only setup I had to do for towing my car trailer was to install a trailer brake controller and add a 40A fuse to the underhood fuse panel. That 12v power lead provided charging power for the 12v battery that was part of the breakaway box.

My '08 was different in that I got the integral trailer brake controller as part of the HD trailering package so no aftermarket controller was needed. There was one wire I had to connect to a stud at the front of the underhood fuse panel. This wire was wrapped up and tied to a harness underneath the brake master cylinder. On my old '99, there was no separate wire to connect; it was probably part of the main harness going to the fuse panel and already connected. That truck had the basic trailering package.

Archived