Should I buy a Sierra SLT w/5.3l AFM? Or avoid it?

Hi I have been trying to do some home work about the sierras and the 5.3l v8 with the AFM system and having issues with the oil consumption.

I'm looking at a 2009 gmc Sierra slt w/5.3 it has 60,000 km I have already put a $500 deposit on it to. And now I'm seeing this issue..

My questions are..

Should I not buy the truck because of the issues with AFM system?

Would anyone here who have had the issue with there truck, buy another one?

I called the dealer, and by disabling it will void the warranty, so would want to if that is a for sure fix. But wouldn't want to to void the warranty..

I really like the sierra slt, and love how simple yet nice they are. Just I do not want to have issues with the truck. I don't want to spend 30k and then have to rebuild the motor... I called the dealer and they said after they fix it if it needed a rebuild then they don't have any more issues.. Im thinking if it happens once it can happen again and it will happen after the warranty is up...

Please help before I back out of the deal... Do not want a ford or dodge. Can't see my self in a truck like that...

Thanks in advance

Nick

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should I not buy the truck because of the issues with AFM system?

The afm "question/issue" has been a discussion point since 2007, yet most of us own one. Our money is where our mouth is, so to speak. I wouldn't think twice, myself, especially if it is still under the 5/100 warranty. I've had good success w/ afm on mine, but others feel differently. You can have it disabled via a tune, if you want.

I had a 08 SLT, and did also have the AFM/oil burning issue. I had a no hassle dealer, that followed the TSBs for the repair, and eventually fixed it, all under warranty and didn't cost me a penny.

In my eyes, they (GM) identified the the issue, and fixed it. I loved the truck, and so that was good enough for me.

I'd still be driving it if it wasn't written off last week when I t-boned a guy making an illegal left. :(

Good luck with your decision. Besides the above issue I had zero problems with it and would recommend it to anyone.

You had better start reading up on the poor mileage the 6.2 gets. If the truck was still under warranty, and had already been addressed for oil burning, it was most likely safe to get. Every engine/trans has complaints about them. Every manufacture does as well. Not sure why you would even consider the diesel. I for one do not need a 5k bill just after warranty runs out for an injector pump.

You had better start reading up on the poor mileage the 6.2 gets. If the truck was still under warranty, and had already been addressed for oil burning, it was most likely safe to get. Every engine/trans has complaints about them. Every manufacture does as well. Not sure why you would even consider the diesel. I for one do not need a 5k bill just after warranty runs out for an injector pump.

I am looking into how the 6.2 is on fuel, and I have found it ranges from 15-21mpg, It's not much dfference between that and the 5.3. I'm not looking for a diesel, the 6.2 is a gas. I'm looking at the denalis.

It's not much dfference between that and the 5.3.

The 6.2 requires premium fuel to get the better numbers. Identical (normal driving) tests, on the 87 octane, will put the 6.2 @ ~3 mpg less. Not a huge number, but probably 15% to 20% difference in daily driving.

Yeah, I seen that. I would get the Sierra slt, just worried about the afm system and issues. I know i can get it deactivated and get it tuned, or just get the 6.2 and be done with it...Yes, ill pay more in fuel but by deactivating the afm, that voids the warrenty. I was thinking of deactivating it after around 120-140km range (assuming i had a issue with the afm,,)

Understood. I wouldn't try to steer anyone either way. Heck, I wouldn't try to stop anyone from buying a Ford, Dodge or Toyota. It's not my money. That said, I personally don't ever think about AFM, and only realize it exists when I look at the DIC. I also wouldn't know that there "could" be an issue if I didn't follow this forum, but at 45k miles and *lots* of heavy towing, it doesn't use a drop. Maybe I've been lucky, but I routinely get ~20 mpg on long trips, and 17+ around town. If I were buying today, I may lean towards the 6.2, but only w/ the NHT pkg (3.73 gears & 7300 GVWR). I tow a heavy camper, and could see trading mpg for torque and payload. If I didn't tow, I'd go w/ the 5.3 again (without hesitation). It's a great motor, but I'm sure the 6.2 is as well.

Ok. thanks! thats good to hear. the more i talk with ppl withthe 5.3 i head mainly good things. My issue is after the warrenty if things happen im SOL (if i have a issue). I can see towing alot and driving city a lot it lasting longer as your maily in v8 mode which is good as the afm is not doing its thing, therefore you shouldnt have a issue. At this point in my life i do not need a 6.2 the 5.3 is more then enough. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons,

I found a 08 denali with 6.2 - 50,000km for $27,000 (very little warrenty left)

or

A 2010 Sierra SLT all terrian w/5.3 - 55,000km for $31,000 (3+yrs of pwr tran warrenty)

I did the math, and I would save 3-4k in purchase by gettin that denali but spend $7-800 more on fuel each yr. so there basically the same cost until 4 years from now. the denali would then be more money each yr on fuel, and the sierra wouldnt. thats my dilema lol

Archived