Should I buy a Sierra SLT w/5.3l AFM? Or avoid it?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not much dfference between that and the 5.3.

The 6.2 requires premium fuel to get the better numbers. Identical (normal driving) tests, on the 87 octane, will put the 6.2 @ ~3 mpg less. Not a huge number, but probably 15% to 20% difference in daily driving.

The 6.2L requires premium fuel not only to get better numbers, but to make the truck run properly. It's programmed from the factory for the higher octane. DO NOT run any lesser grade of fuel with the 6.2L. engine.

There are both 2wd and all wheel drive versions of the Denali. No 4 wheel drive. Also, Denali with 20 inches wheels should not be used off-road. Denali is a luxury/performance truck, not an off-road truck. Has Z60 performance suspension.

I have owned a 07 silverado since new, and have had no issues with AFM or with oil consumtion. I wouldnt't hesitate to buy another truck with the 5.3.

How many km/tank you get on avg if u don't stomp on it?

i usually get around 390 miles out of a tank and that is with probably a 60/40 split city/hwy driving. That does usually included stomping on it a few times. I've tried to use a full tank and not stomp on it at all but at least once during a tank I have to stomp on it, lol.

I have 2010 Sierra with the 5.3 and get close to 600 km on a tank probably 50/50 city/hwy. I can get over 700 on the highway though and several times the DIC has shown over 20 mpg on the hwy even with a bed full of camping gear & boat on the roof...

We have 2008 & 2007 5.3 silverado in our family with afm never have had a problem. I cant even tell when its in afm mode in and both trucks have had there share of towing ,city driving and since i change my own oils i know they dont use any oil. Would buy a afm truck again if needed. Good luck with your decision

from my personal experience, avoid afm like the plague. oil burning pos. my dealer is useless and gm does nothing to help out with this very well known problem because they are backing the dealership, which either lies or is terrible at keeping proper records for the so called oil consumption test. ive bought a number of gm vehichles from the dealer this was bought from and they will never see another penny from me, and depending on how this is handled in the next month, very good chance neither will gm.

Archived