bad clunk, new front end parts, noise still there

Hey all, Ive got a 2004 silverado 2500HD with the 6.0 and I have a really bad clunk coming from the front end. Ive replaced the ball joints, torsion bar bushings, tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm, sway bar link and bushings, and front wheel bearings. I lifted the front end and shook the tires, no slop. I did find some slop in the shock bushings but it was minimal. The intermediate steering shaft was also replaced. I checked my front diff and the bushings were solid on that with no movement. I did however notice one of my motor mounts was tweaked and was rubbing against my frame. and it appeared the bushing was wore out. I had a buddy step on the brakes and apply gas off and on and saw them move and twist a bit but it was nothing radical. I also noticed the bottom control arms had back and forth movement when the gas and brakes were applied off and on. Are they suppose to have forward and backward movement? The drivers side had more play than passenger side. Brake calipers are tight, my cv axles look fine, the shocks look fine, bumper is tight, plow package is tight. The clunk happens when I accelerate and decelerate, and by going over bumps, doesnt happen when Im turning left or right. Its getting significantly worse week by week. i can feel it on the floor when it happens so I know its something in the front end. and its driving me insane by not figuring out whats wrong after all the money and time Ive put into parts and replacing. What am I over looking? Do the torsion keys wear? Is there suppose to be play in the control arm bushings? The front drive line is also solid, could it be excess gear lash or slop in the front diff? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Yea the body mounts were tight. The CVs looked fine there was no rips in the boots and i shook them up and down side to side back and forth. They usually dont go out unless the boots are damaged and get water debri etc in them. Also has anyone done motor mounts?

Sorry I forgot to mention it does it in 2wd and in 4wd. The shock towers looked fine. I literally shook everything and pryed everything wth a pry bar lookin for slop and I couldnt find anything other than the minor slop in the control arms and the motor mounts but it doesnt sound like those would be the culprit for the obnoxious clunk im hearing

I believe the 2500HD are on a 1 ton frame correct? I have a hard time believing my frame would be cracked but who knows. I never thought about that. I wish I had access to a lift so I could really inspect it good.

I was hoping it was my control arm bushings. They had slop when Id accelerate with the brakes on. But when I lifted the truck off the ground and I took a long pry bar and pried on the wheel I didnt see much movement. Do these newer chevy frames have a weak point by the steering box like the older models?

Check the transmission mount, also the mounts where the transmission cross-over mounts to the frame. I would also check the mounts for the torsion bar cross-over. Either of those being loose or bad would also transfer noise to the front or floor area of the truck. If the control arm bushings where bad I think you would feel it in the steering wheel and cause abnormal tire wear. I think you would also feel a cracked frame around the steering gear when turning in the wheel also you would see it move while a helper was turning the steering wheel while you watch for movment. I would also check ALL of the cab body mounts. Just my $.02

I havent resolved the problem yet. THanks city driver I have not checked the transmission mount yet I will do that this weekend when I have time to pull it in a heated garage (its 3 degrees out right now) The torsion bar cross over was tight. I replaced the torsion bar mounts on it a few weeks ago, they were definately shot, but it didnt solve my issue. It has gotten significantly worse the past few days. If I drive in reverse slow and stop it CLUNKS and when I go back into drive it clunks loud. It feels like something major is loose I am hoping my transmission mount is the problem. I have narrowed it down to a few things now and eventually Ill find it. Thanks for the replys. I will post what I found was the problem when I find it.

I dont feel slop in anything when I turn the wheel so it must not be steering box related. First thing Im going to check is the transmission mounts. for the record it is not my u joints. I just had a new driveline made with a brand new yoke and new spicer u joints on it (had dings on the tube and was out of balane). Ive spent alot of time and money trying to eliminate this issue and by the time I find this problem I will have a solid freshly maintained work truck. Ive used it for towing my 30' commercial fishing gillnetter and plowing snow, it has 139k miles on it and its been used and abused and I still love this truck. stand by for an update

common problem around here is the frame cracking on plow trucks, doesnt matter 1500 or 3500. local welding shop has welded plate steel to quite a few hds. one broke both front frame rails and was basicly resting on the torsion bars. look for cracks behind the a-arms. differant frames but my dads 1990 2500hd and my 1997 3500 both cracked and a major excavating company here runs lots of plow trucks from mid 90s to current and the majority of them have cracked also.

Okay more direction to look. thanks. I will definately check that out. Im pretty sure I grabbed both front shocks and shook them abruptly and they didnt move. but that doesnt mean anything. I wont get a chance to pull my truck in to a garage till this weekend so I have a written list of the things to check that you guys mentioned . Thanks alot. I dont have my spare tire under the bed, ever since I put 285s on there I never put the spare back under there thinking it wouldnt fit plus theyre a hassle I usually leave it in the back of my bed or by the side of the house. I bought the truck with the plow on it from a guy that had a small construction outfit and the plow virtually looked unused when I got the truck, and I have only used it for two winters plowing and I wasnt too hard on it. Its also a snow-way plow and those ones are light duty. But its good to know now that its a commn problem for plow trucks that the frame rails crack

Archived