Texting while driving

ninjaguy_fl

What are your feelings about texting and driving? Can you do it safely? I can and am getting upset by legislators telling me what i can do in my truck. Talking to kids in the back seat is the highest form of distracted driving and you've all seen what else goes on behind the wheel. Existing and proposed laws can not be enforced because EVERYONE has a cell phone that texts. Your thoughts?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't because it makes you worse than driving drunk... If I need to send a text I use Siri.

Sometimes they will pull both party's message history in a wreck, so even if the texting didn't cause the wreck, you can still get in trouble for it.

I could with an old style phone because I could feel the keys, with my smartphone I will voice text.

I agree with that. Around here its illegal to even talk on a cell phone. With a touch phone I find it too hard to not be distracted to even make a call. Bluetooth all the way. Anyone who thinks they can text and drive in traffic is an accident waiting to happen. It's about the people who come out of nowhere in front of you, or sudden stops, when it comes down to it.

Most common honks at a stop light turning green is because a girl is looking down at her phone, not to be sexist but it's true.

I was in Saskatoon a couple months ago and I took a call while at a red light (I know it's illegal there, but I really don't care). It was the rental car company calling on behalf of the last guy who had the car because he thought he left his passport in there. As soon as I picked up the phone some ass behind me started honking and honking for the entire time I was on the phone, all while stopped. People need to mind their own damn business- I posed no safety threat at all since I wasn't moving. But to stay on topic my first reply was somewhat tongue in cheek, I generally won't deal with texts or emails while driving, I just have no use for the safety nanny style of govt.

Most common honks at a stop light turning green is because a girl is looking down at her phone, not to be sexist but it's true.

I was in Saskatoon a couple months ago and I took a call while at a red light (I know it's illegal there, but I really don't care). It was the rental car company calling on behalf of the last guy who had the car because he thought he left his passport in there. As soon as I picked up the phone some ass behind me started honking and honking for the entire time I was on the phone, all while stopped. People need to mind their own damn business- I posed no safety threat at all since I wasn't moving. But to stay on topic my first reply was somewhat tongue in cheek, I generally won't deal with texts or emails while driving, I just have no use for the safety nanny style of govt.

I'm talking about people who text, use phones or what not when they are supposed to be in motion. If someone in front of me sat at a green light for 20 seconds on their phone then I rage.

Regardless of what your opinion is, people in motion should never be using touch style phones to text or make a call it is a proven cause of accidents. A touch screen (Nav stereo whatever) in vehicle is a little different because unlike phone you don't have to hold with your hand you are only pushing buttons. This would be the same if the phone is stationary. Holding a phone to your head although not as bad also causes some people to have an accident.

Like I said in a previous post its to prevent people from hitting people who come out of nowhere or sudden stops from a slight lack of attention you might have.

Sent from my Nokia 5190 using Tapatalk 2

Texting & driving == NO. Sitting still? No biggie, although folks often don't stop when the light turns. It amazes me that it's a discussion topic, as the issue/outcome is pretty obvious. Then again, so is dealing w/ your teen who's fighting with his little brother in the back, while towing a 7000 lb camper :mad:

All I have to say is if you don't want me on my phone at anytime because it is a distraction then ban IPOD's, navy and GPS systems, and take the radio out of the vehicle. It is total BS that at a stoplight I can't text someone or take a phone call while on the road.

People have their damn dogs sitting on their lap, eat while driving, and do their friggin makeup in the mirror. Ticket those fools...

I do it kinda, I have a iPhone 4S and use Siri to read me texts and I just tell her what to text back. I only have to use the only button on the front of the phone and do not have to look at it to do it

I do it kinda, I have a iPhone 4S and use Siri to read me texts and I just tell her what to text back. I only have to use the only button on the front of the phone and do not have to look at it to do it

The problem is that everyone thinks that they are the only ones who can do it safely. Perhaps the OP is good enough at multi-tasking that they don't pose a significantly greater risk by texting while under way. I don't say that sarcastically, I mean they really may not have trouble doing it. But 99.999367% of the other 18,321,446 of the people doing it RIGHT NOW are not that skilled, and they all have the same opinion of themselves. All of the studies and tests have shown that using the mobile communications device is equivalent to some level of alcohol consumption while driving. Many years ago when I lived on Wild Turkey and beer, I knew for a fact that I was just as good a driver when wasted as when sober. Statistics prove it because I totaled three cars by the time I was 21, and had a few smaller accidents after that, but all while stone-cold sober. I never had an accident or got pulled over while drunk. I agree fully that other forms of distraction are just as bad. Some years ago a young mother crashed on a local highway while turning around to swat at her kid in the back seat. This was before cell phones were popular. But you can't ban people from carrying their kids in the car. A couple of months back, an older woman and her dog were both killed when she crashed her SUV on a curvy back road, and it was determined that she'd had the little dog in her lap, which got caught up in the steering wheel, leading to the SUV going into the ditch at 50 MPH. People will always exercise what they believe to be their own "good judgment", but many times it proves to have been not so good. Personally I am against texting or talking while in motion, but I see dozens of people doing it every day. I'd rather see the system set up so that the GPS function cuts out the texting function when in motion over 5 MPH.

Drive safe!

If i have to text or make a phone call I will pull over someplace safely on the road and if i think I am maybe in the way I will put my hazzards on . To me texting is bad . You have to read a text and your eyes are not on the road and accidents happen when sudden things happen and you wont see that happen if you have to read a text or make one.

Gps are on the window and can still see out of your window and the voice tells where to go so you dont even need to look at the screen .

Also with blue tooth and hands free settings to day there is no need to physical touch your phone . I am all for wearing seat belts . having loads secure and all the other road laws we have to follow. People are stupid and that is why there is these laws to protect us from the stupid ones .

I got woke up around 5 am this morning at the fire station to pull a lady out of a car she parked on top of a memorial company's display. I bet she thought she was good at texting and driving to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Archived