2003 Silverado SS, Would You Buy One?

I have an opportunity to unload my truck and get into a Silverado SS, well for the right price anyway. I know it sounds pretty insane to jump back four years in time and lose MPG's but, you have to hear me out before you give me an answer on do it or don't do it.

I was 15 when these trucks first came out and I drooled for years over maybe one day owning one. My older buddy let me take his to my senior prom. I took my first plane ride with the same buddy to pick the SS up from Indy when he had the supercharger done, internals upgraded, and the tranny built. I got to drive it home. He let me take it out on dates here and there and I just fell in love with the truck. I guess it is just because you don't see many.

I have had an eye out for a clean one that was actually priced reasonably, with lower miles, and a older driver who didn't beat up on it. This week I found one at a dealer for $16,999 with 50K on the clock in Arrival Blue. I'm planning on going Saturday to take a look at it, the dealer is almost 2 hours from me.

If you were in my position what are your thoughts?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would check with JrocK817. I believe he had an '03 that he sold to make room for a family and would like to have another one day...

Thanks I'll try to find him. I already know about the possible t-case and front diff issues. I have two buddies that still have them and both are over 100K now.

Would I buy one, no. But should you buy one, absolutely! If it's your dream truck, you have to get it. :)

I was surprised when my girlfriend said the same thing, she normally busts my balls over most purchases. :lol: She knows I'm saving for a ring... just doesn't know when I'm going to ask hehehe. She honest to God told me if that is your dream truck and you can afford it, you need to do your best to buy it. I almost had a stroke.

When I told my wife that I was looking at this Callaway I told her that if they could match my payments on my '07 Vmax I'd like to get it and she said "you bust your ass to take care of us and I think you deserve it, I'd go for it". I drove it home the next day. :thumbs:

If you want it and she supports you, pull the trigger.

Jon, that is the exact thing I'm looking into now, if they can match my current payment then I want to take it home. As clean as it is and the price they have it listed I'm affraid I won't get there soon enough. Oh well, if it is meant to be then it is meant to be.

Do any of you know of things I should be looking for on a test drive, other then the front end growl? Rich, you probably would know the most being a service manager.

Do any of you know of things I should be looking for on a test drive, other then the front end growl? Rich, you probably would know the most being a service manager.

Nothing that comes to mind,that was the year for all the I/P cluster stepper motor failures,so make sure that is ok,otherwise those trucks were pretty solid rides,I know Justin from Black Bear has one as well that he's selling since he just bought a new 6.2 crew-cab,he had his supercharged!

......and an older driver who didn't beat up on it. 50K on the clock.

:crackup::crackup::crackup: The stories this "older driver" could tell you about some of my previous low mileage vehicles!!! :crackup::crackup::crackup:

:crackup::crackup::crackup: The stories this "older driver" could tell you about some of my previous low mileage vehicles!!! :crackup::crackup::crackup:

I suppose I should clarify beat up haha, my definition of beat up is ride it hard, put it away wet, and not maintain it. My uncle has a '68 camaro that when he takes it out, HE TAKES IT OUT. Thing is, he cleans the thing up spotless (rubber and tar) and maintains the crap out of it, he's an ex certified master tech.

I believe the drive it like you stole it mentality is just fine, as long as it is coupled with the I will fix it at any price to run like a top. :cheers:

Nothing that comes to mind,that was the year for all the I/P cluster stepper motor failures,so make sure that is ok,otherwise those trucks were pretty solid rides,I know Justin from Black Bear has one as well that he's selling since he just bought a new 6.2 crew-cab,he had his supercharged!

Good point, I forgot about the cluster issues. I believe that is covered through recall once, correct?

Good point, I forgot about the cluster issues. I believe that is covered through recall once, correct?

It wasn't a recall,but rather a "special policy bulletin",it was covered for 7 years/70,000 miles no charge,and up to 8 years/80,000 miles for the cluster only and the customer pays the labor.....

Heres some of the bulletin...

Condition

Some customers of all 2003-2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For verified failures between 70,001 miles (110,001 km) and 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on U.S. vehicles, dealers are to provide the customer with an instrument panel cluster (IPC) only. Any additional costs, including labor to replace the instrument panel cluster, will be the responsibility of the customer. Dealers are responsible for the return of the customer's IPC back to the Electronic Service Center.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, and March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, or March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

If you post me the VIN I can see if it was done under the policy.

2GCEK19N031353142

Thanks Rich! This is much appreciated!

Nope,wasn't done under the policy,if it was done it was customer pay..

Vehicle Information VIN: 2GCEK19N031353142 Model: CK15753-2003 SILVERADO 1500 EXT CAB 4WD Service Contract: Yes Branded Title: No Warranty Block: No PDI Status: No Order Type: 70 - RETAIL - STOCK Field Actions: 0 Open

Job Card Date: 09/29/2008 Job Card Number: 088394 Repair Service Agent: 227245 Odometer Reading: 28,951 MI ADVANTAGE CHEVROLET OF BOLINGBROOK,

115 W FRONTAGE RD S

BOLINGBROOK IL 60440-3522

6307595600 Authorization Code: Process Date:

10/03/2008 Transaction Type:

ZSCT----Service Contracts Transaction Expense Category:

Customer Complaint Code:

0000-Converted Claim Job Card Line #: 2 Transaction Adjustment: Cause Code: 0000-Converted Claims Labour Op L1020-Fuel Tank Filler Cap Replacement Causal Part Number ?See other Parts and/or Net Items

Qty Part Number Description Major Assembly Traceability Net Item Code Description Z_NIM MISCELLANEOUS

Job Card Date: 01/09/2006 Job Card Number: 378247 Repair Service Agent: 166558 Odometer Reading: 18,930 MI ADVANTAGE CHEVROLET

9510 W JOLIET RD

HODGKINS IL 60525-4137

7083522400 Authorization Code: Process Date:

01/13/2006 Transaction Type:

ZREG----Regular Vehicle Transaction Transaction Expense Category:

Customer Complaint Code:

0000-Converted Claim Job Card Line #: 1 Transaction Adjustment: Cause Code: 0000-Converted Claims Labour Op E7700-Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement Causal Part Number ?See other Parts and/or Net Items

Qty Part Number Description Major Assembly Traceability Net Item Code Description Z_NIM

Job Card Date: 11/24/2004 Job Card Number: 357701 Repair Service Agent: 166558 Odometer Reading: 9,184 MI ADVANTAGE CHEVROLET

9510 W JOLIET RD

HODGKINS IL 60525-4137

7083522400 Authorization Code: Process Date:

11/30/2004 Transaction Type:

ZFAT----Field Action Recall Transaction Expense Category:

Customer Complaint Code:

0000-Converted Claim Job Card Line #: 1 Transaction Adjustment: Cause Code: 0000-Converted Claims Labour Op V1242-04007 - Inspect and Replace Tailgate Support Cables inc. Hinge Replacement if Necessary Causal Part Number ?See other Parts and/or Net Items

Qty Part Number Description Major Assembly Traceability Net Item Code Description Z_NIM

Job Card Date: 04/29/2003 Job Card Number: 042418 Repair Service Agent: 126986 Odometer Reading: 3 MI EAN HOLDINGS, LLC

7111 W. WASHINGTON ST

INDIANAPOLIS IN 46241-2811

Authorization Code: Process Date:

05/02/2003 Transaction Type:

ZPDI----Pre-Delivery Inspection Transaction Expense Category:

Customer Complaint Code:

0000-Converted Claim Job Card Line #: 1 Transaction Adjustment: Cause Code: 0000-Converted Claims Labour Op Z7000-Pre-Delivery Inspection - Base Time Causal Part Number

For this vehicle: ? View Vehicle Summary ? Service Contract ? Branded Title ? Warranty Block ? View Vehicle Build ? View Vehicle Component Summary ? View Vehicle Transaction History Detail ? View Vehicle Delivery Information ? Investigate Major Assembly History

Do you have plans for it, I only ask because isnt it just a regular 1/2 ton silverado with a 6.0 and different grill/bumper?

Why not buy a used silverado with a 6.2 which has more power bone stock?

I don't want one because it is fast, my tuned 5.3 would prob run door to door with it. It is the past I have had with the SS and it will always be the truck I always wanted but couldn't afford when I was younger. The SS's had the LQ9, full Bose, white face gauges, heated leather, AWD in 03-04 with the option in 05, different bumpers and suspension, 4.10's, specific 20 inch wheels for the package, ect... I know it is nothing special to other people but, you love your 8.1L, which you should if it is what you like, but I have no use for one and would never buy one. It is just a matter of personal opinion.

A used 6.2 is 25 to 30K around here, I'm not going to have a 5-600 dollar truck payment at this point in my life. In the future when the future wife is out of dental school, we aren't traveling anymore, and we get school loans paid off, then maybe I'll look into a 6.2L.

EDIT: As for plans:

BlackBear tune

Airaid MIT tube with K&N drop in filter

Exhaust

WIndow Tint

I would drive it just like that for years to come.

Archived