2005 Sierra 5.3 - How to gain HP but not spend lots of money

I got a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 liter and i'm wondering what can be done to add horse power. I really don't want to put a ton of money into just yet because I have to be able to afford life but I can spend a fair bit. I hear programmers, throttle body spacers, air intakes, and exhaust are the best, is that true? is there anything else I could do? Thanks everyone!

Throttle body spacers are a waste of money. Intake and exhaust are mainly noise makers, but small gains can be had with the right setup.

I recommend a BlackBear tune. Best upgrade so far. Really enhanced driveability.

Along with Blackbear I would also suggest a good tune up too.

Plugs, wires, MAF sensor cleaning, throttle plate cleaning, seafoaming engine, top and bottom.

Even if it doesn't do much it certainly won't hurt your truck.

X2

I got a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 liter and i'm wondering what can be done to add horse power. I really don't want to put a ton of money into just yet because I have to be able to afford life but I can spend a fair bit. I hear programmers, throttle body spacers, air intakes, and exhaust are the best, is that true? is there anything else I could do? Thanks everyone!

Tuning will nab you some results, but really more power is making it to the ground is what's happening. It's hard to see real HP gains in a gasser without some hard parts.

Go to a reputabe dyno shop and see what they have been getting. There is usually at least one in-house tuner there.There are dynos that only do mustangs and stuff but you may find one that has done some trucks and can tell you what kind of dyno tune he cane give you. Its the only way you are going to know what you are paying for. The do a base dyno run and then as many as needed to dial it in. He will do shift points and firmness and a recommended torque managenmet setting. Tire size and the like.

Tuning will nab you some results, but really more power is making it to the ground is what's happening. It's hard to see real HP gains in a gasser without some hard parts.

Definitly true, You cant start wanting or trying to make real power afraid to spend..Its obviuosly tough right now for everyone

but if it was me i would wait and save so you can do it right the first time, VS getting nickel&dime bolt ons..

*Heads,Cam,Stainless works long tubes,Custom tune!= Neck snapping REAL Power!

6 litre are okay, but still not neck snapping quick. Not even close, that's why I say save ur cash. Port polished heads, cam along with valve train, long tubes, higher stall t/c along with some good tuning. That will give you some real seat of the pants results.

I wouldnt be afraid of a 6 litre swap because six point ohhhh is a good platform for boost, especially an lq4. But I would not be hesitant to build on the 5.3 platform, I would sooner build a 5.3 that's already planted before swapping in a 6.0. The cost of properly setting up a cam'd 5.3 is probly close to the same as an engine swap. But the built 5.3 would scream compared to a stock 6.0...Only thing I would argue myself on is displacement, because we all know. There is no replacement!!

+1, Not saying you.. But guys want to make big HP numbers..But dont want to spend the money to do it rite... Throttle body spacers

And new mufflers arent going to do it! If your serious save your money and put together a package that will work together,

Cam, heads, Long tubes, Then the custom tune.. Also make plans for some basic tranny upgrades,

Archived