2001 5.3 Silvy, P0404 & P0405 EGR system

Never really had any issues with the truck engine/PCM related, but tonight on way home SES light came on. When I scanned it with HPT I got P0404 (old) and P0405 (Immature).

I pulled the EGR valve, has just a little of carbon on the pintle, nothing major. Inside of the flange on the manifold side looked pretty clean, the inside of the sensor had a little moisture on it.

So is this a bad sensor, the wiring harness looked ok from what I could tell.

Get it diagnoised, thinking I just put up the codes I got. I am more than capable of doing the work and saving about $200 in fees/labor the shops and dealer will want to charge. Firgure 1hr of diagnostic fee, then another hour of labor on top of the $180 price they want for the valve means I am going to throw almost $400 at a part I can get at my cost thru the dealer for $110 and do the work myself.

From the info I got the P0404 leads to the EGR Valve being bad, the P0405 leans towards wiring but I am not sure if it wasnt triggered because of the P0404. The service info I got advised to clean the valve and make sure it is not hung up, it was relatively clean but I went ahead and cleaned the valve and checked the passages. Service info suggests if all is well then the valve is bad since it is not responding to the correct position the ECM is requesting.

I will go thru the diagnostic process for the P0405 next, but with it being 15° yesterday and the moisture I found inside the valve makes me think it might have froze up. The connector and wiring is fine from intial inspection.

Archived