Why do you own a GM Truck?

Seriously... why do you drive and own a Chevrolet or a GMC pickup? With other options out there such as the Ford with ECO-Boost and Sync and Dodge or RAM with the HEMI and U-Connect; what drove you to purchase a truck that so many say is "way behind" the other manufacturers? (We can't really include the 2014's in this discussion yet, as they aren't even on the market yet).

NOTE: This isn't designed to be a joke, I am seriously curious why everyone drives what they do. I have owned all three, and as of right now it ranks at the top as far as reliability though I only have 13,000 miles on it. I had problems with the others and have friends that have had good luck with Chevrolet which is what led me to purchase mine. Plus, what's sexier than "Z71" on your rear panels!

This could be a good thread for others who look for information on which truck to purchase if they are in the market...Let the discussion begin.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see. I had an S10 I bought used cheap and loved it. It took a beating. Then I bought my Sierra used and it has been through hell. With the beatings I give my trucks and they last I don't see why to change. I can always upgrade the radio or engine. I did both to this truck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I'm from a Chevrolet family. I don't like dodges because they are junk. They don't last and tend to be an overall crappy vehicle. I don't like Ford's because of their body style and motor's and some basic maintenance is difficult to do on them. I've always loved chevy because of how tough their trucks are, the motors they put in them, and the simplicity of doing basic maintenance.

390,000 miles between my truck and my dads 00 ECSB with the original motor, trans, and rear end has to say something good about Chevrolet.

My first truck was a 76 Chevy C1500 truck, I drove it for years without any major issues. I got a job and bought a newer Dodge Ram, it put me on the side of the road toooo many times. I traded that truck in on a 00 silverado and kept it for 10 years. My dad puts 200-300k miles on trucks and uses nothing but Chevys. Not to mention, the Ford and Fiat.. I mean Dodge.. Wait Ram! dealers suck around here, different people in there every time you walk in! I might consider a Ford, but there is no way in hell I am driving a Fiat truck...

Subjective Opinion: I drive mine because I feel that it is more comfortable than the other brands. I also am a Chevy guy though I do have the privilege of driving the other trucks. I guess that the General's platform has been easier to understand with fewer options/configurations as well as proven tech. Once again, this is a subjective opinion and not meant in any way to be bashing of brands. Each brand does have its strengths and weaknesses.

I'm probably in the minority in that I'm not (or at least wasn't, I'd be a harder sell now on the other two) a diehard GM guy. I also looked at the F-150 and Ram 1500 (the Toyota and Nissan were never considered, nor will they be for me). For me it basically came down to option/configuration choices vs. the Ford. I was considering a Ford in two configurations- one was a pretty loaded reg. cab which has some definite positives, but the lack of the back seat (storage for me really) was somewhat of a concern so I focused on ex. cabs. With the extended cab, I did not like how the Ford looked with all the chrome up front and the rather flat bodyside. The only way to fix that was to step up to the FX4 trim which not only was on the upper end of what I wanted to spend since Ford incentives were weaker at the time but it also forced the floor console and floor shifter, which I did not want. So the Ford was out.

The Ram actually put up more of a fight in my mind than I ever would've thought. I liked the "Outdoorsman" trim level aside from the obnoxious (and easily removed) bed decal. Especially the two tone paint. My friends kept calling me an old man for liking that but whatever, I did. What kept me from the Ram was first the transmission- I've driven tons of Chrysler stuff with that 5 speed and it just is not programmed well at all. Sometimes it will be fast and dump a gear, other times it will hesitate forever. Also, in 2011 they did not have side curtain airbags and their side impact scores sucked. That meant higher insurance costs plus the whole threat of injury in a crash so they were off the list. I went with Chevy over GMC because I loved the body color front end and I wanted the small upgrades the Z71 Appearance package offered. Most of those are available in the GMC All Terrain pkg but I didn't want the upper trim interior, I prefer the LT/SLE spec one over the LTZ/SLT trim personally.

I learned to drive on my dads gmc. I've owned 4 additional gm/Chevy trucks and they've all treated me well so far! My grandfather on my moms side has been a ford guy his whole life, but I can't understand why. My work van is a 2004 ford and it drives and looks like its 20 years older.. Ands it got less than 100,000 miles.

When I went back to a truck from an SUV in 2010 I looked at both GMC and Ford. Never really considered Chevy because I like the GMC styling better, never considered RAM because the dealership I do business with does not have a RAM store. What it came down to for me was ride quality and power. I liked the amount of room in the Ford better but I liked the interior and engine better on the GMC. Price difference on the two was close at the time so I went with the GMC. Kept the 10 for a year a half and then got into an 11 with a few more options for a great price and I could not be happier.

I bought a my first chevy because the dealer in my town had a better rep. than the ford dealer. I also knew a salesman there so I got a really good deal. When I bought my 2011 I test drove a Ford ecoboost first. I liked the interior and size of the ford but I felt the chevy drove way better. I also got a great deal on my chevy. Im not a chevy for life guy I just honestly like the chevy better than the ford.

I agree that the GM exterior styling is in a class of its own. Its the only brand of them all that hasn't really "ditched" its body type. Ford has been through many truck styles over the years, as well as the RAM. I think that was another selling point in my opinion, I just think the GM's look so much more "rugged". I too was left stranded by my Dodge Ram when I owned it, it left me on the side of the road; it also left me clearing check engine lights every few days for stupid codes. My ford was a decent truck, I owned a 2003 F-150 8 ft. bed. I just felt it was too sluggish (the 5.4L) and the new styling on the Ford's just looks cheap. I don't know how they can profit selling a $50,000 truck that still has cheap plastic all over. In the end, for me it came down to the Chevrolet with great crash reviews and simplicity. The fact that the Dodge at the time (and maybe still) had a 2 star crash rating still amuses me...I wouldn't even let my dog ride shotgun in that.

My ford was a decent truck, I owned a 2003 F-150 8 ft. bed. I just felt it was too sluggish (the 5.4L) and the new styling on the Ford's just looks cheap. I don't know how they can profit selling a $50,000 truck that still has cheap plastic all over. In the end, for me it came down to the Chevrolet with great crash reviews and simplicity. The fact that the Dodge at the time (and maybe still) had a 2 star crash rating still amuses me...I wouldn't even let my dog ride shotgun in that.

It is funny you bring up crash testing, as it is something in years past that never was a consideration for what I bought. But just last night I was watching more videos & those 97-03 F150's were flat out scary watching front end collisions. However, am thinking Ford has turned that all around & the F150 has the highest rated crash test scores among the big three. Will be interesting to see how the 2014 GM trucks fare in tests.

Dad has a Ford. Hate it. I had a Dodge Ram, It was ok. Nothing drives as nice as the Chevy's I think. Also worked in a dealer for 8 + years, so I know some of the ins and outs of them. Also this one hauls like it is its job. Sum it up with one word? 8.1L lol

I come from a gmc family. Grew up with my dad driving an 89 regular cab stepside with the 5.7 and I loved that truck. It went to 500k miles for my dad and then my brother drove it for years to 700k miles (they had almost cross state commutes for work and school). The truck was still running when my brother sold it. My dad then got a 2004 sierra brand new that now has 260k miles on the stock motor and my 2000 sierra has 307k miles on the stock motor. Gmc trucks have just been a blessing to my family

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

I've purchased 16 new trucks in my life. 1 Nissan, 1 Toyota, 1 Ford, 8 Chevy, 2 Mazda, and 3 GMC trucks. I have a GMC currently because it was the best looking truck that did what I wanted it to do. Somehow GM is where I end up most times.

Archived