Roll n Lock Question....

A question for anyone who has a Roll n Lock tonneau top for my brand spankin' new 2013 Sierra Denali (why yes, the white diamond tricoat IS quite beautiful thanks for noticing!) I am close to buying the Roll n Lock but I have some questions. I believe that there is an aluminum channel that gets attached to the tailgate, at the top inside. I believe it is screwed on and I'm not crazy about that but... goes with the territory. First, is it installed with the tailgate rail cover in place or does it have to come off? Second, That same channel, I assume it is sticking up when you have the tailgate open. That would mean that anything laid out the open tailgate would rest on that channel and would be held off the floor? That would also mean that anything being pushed into the bed, like 2"x12"'s etc. wouldn't have a smooth entrance into the bed, it would have to go over the channel first?

Hopefully I described this correctly!

Yes - there is an aluminum channel that screws on to the tailgate. My installer wanted to remove the oem tailgate spoiler with a generic cover. I nixed that and had him install it on the oem spoiler. The channel is what the cover latches/locks on to so that when you lock the cover, the tailgate can't be opened. Yes - the channel sticks up when the tailgate is down. I have to lift items over it when putting things in/out of the bed. I have Line-x so nothing slides easily in or out. The channel is something you have to learn to live with if you go with the Roll-n-Lock cover.

Abbyroadstudio2:

The OE tailgate cap should not be removed to install the Roll-N-Lock tailgate extrusion as the profile is designed to compensate for the thickness of the plastic tailgate cap. If it is removed, then the extrusion will sit lower than designed and the tailgate latches that are incorporated into the Roll-N-Lock handle won't line up with and engage the tailgate extrusion.

Yes, the tailgate extrusion will protrude up about 3/4". While it seems like it would be an obstruction, it really isn't since people rarely lay objects on the leading edge of the tailgate and slide them in. So that it/they won't hang-up on the gap between the tailgate and the floor, one usually places the free end of a long object on the rear of the bed floor and then slides the object in. However, if you would prefer not to have the tailgate extrusion, simply have the unit installed with what we call an "NT Kit". This lets the installer to delete the tailgate extrusion and the latch-hooks in the leading edge of the cover handle, and allows the cover to come back another 3/4" so that it closes against the tailgate as opposed to the tailgate extrusion.

If you have any other questions about how the Roll-N-Lock installs on your truck, feel free to call our technical service department at 800-952-7655 M-F 8am-5pm EST, or you can call me on my cell at 253-970-2213.

Best regards,

Dan Beaulaurier

Roll-N-Lock Corporation.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments and helping clarify the install. Dan, does deleting the tailgate extrusion and using the NT kit have any negative effect on the cover's water resistance? Last, how does deleting the extrusion affect locking capability? I have a locking tailgate on the truck. The cover would still lock itself to the sides of the bed and my tailgate lock would prevent someone from opening and getting in?

Thanks again!

i highly recommend a truck cover usa instead of a roll n lock. i've installed bed covers for over 7 years and can't tell you the amount of broken screwed up roll n lock covers i've dealt with... truck cover usa is a far better cover that rolls and works way easier. way more built to last. also they don't have a piece that attaches to the tailgate. the cover has a lock on it. also most gm's have a locking tailgate. problem solved plus you don't have to worry about that annoying bar in your way. I can tell you honestly if i ever bought a used truck that had a roll n lock on it, it would be thrown in the trash within hours of owning the truck. Keep in mind also that with any rolling bed cover like that you'll looks anywhere from 8-10 inches in the front of the bed for the canister. so your already tiny bed becomes even tinier...

Thanks for the comments...reading them as well as doing some searching on line helped me make up my mind. I'm going with the Bakflip F1. Any retractable tonneau top costing $1,300 and up should be pretty trouble free. From what I read online I can't depend on either of them to absolutely fit that description. At $1,600 the TCU should be PERFECT. RnL has the bar on the tailgate, TCU has 4 drainage tubes and I have to drill two holes in the bed. Would be nice to have a retracting cover but... the F1 will do nicely!

Abbyroadstudio2:

To answer your questions, deleting the tailgate extrusion does not negatively affect the covers water resistance as there is a rubber gasket on the underside of the handle extrusion that will bias against the top of the tailgate. As for the latch/lock mechanism, with the tailgate extrusion in place there are four points of contact...two to the tailgate and one to each of the two tracks. Without the tailgate extrusion in place the cover will just latch/lock to the tracks and rely on your OE tailgate lock.

As with any mechanical product you'll find a range of reviews on the internet, and with a product like ours customer satisfaction is dependent on a quality installation. Unfortunately not all installers in our industry posses the same degree of competency. What I can tell you is that the Roll-N-Lock M-Series is the only retractable cover that is distributed by Isuzu, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Toyota through their dealer networks throughout the European Union.

Thanks for your interest and we hope you enjoy whichever product you ultimately go with.

Best regards,

Dan

Archived