Anyone Installed A Remote Start In 00-06 Sierra

So, with living in the desert I have been thinking that having remote start would be a really good thing to have installed because that way I can cool the truck down some before loading the family up and going where we need to go. I have a found a good number of different ones out there and they aren't that exspensive so while I would like a more modern one that does my locks and remote start along with the little pager feature to beef up the alarm on my truck, I have one already with everything with it but am unsure as to how something like this would really work out in my truck. It was given to me by a friiend to put in my old K5 because I had my stereo stolen out of it. If I'm going to upgrade my truck in several areas I would like the added protection that this alarm gives and also like the feature of the auto start.

Had one on my 1995 camaro and worked great. It would start and run for 10 min the shut off , or once you hit the brake pedal it would go off. And when you were ready to go, just put the key in, turn the ignition to the run position (do not turn to "start" since its already running and started) and drive like regular.

I had the factory remote start added to my truck. It's a really nice option in summer and winter for obvious reasons. However reading your other post about wanting more fuel milage from your truck. Adding this would send you in the opposite direction. Any amount of extra idle will eat into your milage. I lose a 10th of a mile on the DIC readout just for starting it up using the remote.

OP, look at Compustar. They're a really good brand, and you can get a 2 way controller that will show you when the truck has started and some will even give you inside temperature. They have good range as well. I was looking at getting one.

Yeah I know with my mileage issue that it will hurt some but to keep the wife and kids from burning themselves on hot pieces of the truck, I'm willing to afford that. Also, it wouldn't take long to cool or heat my truck. 2 minutes at idle takes the same amount of gas as it does to start your vehicle.

When I was station at FT Irwin (basically just below Death Valley) on my 1995 Black Camaro I loved the fact that I had the remote start. While it did not completely cool the car, it took much of the heat out. But again that is when the outside temp is 120, and the car is sitting in the hot high dessert sun all day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived