Thoughts on a 2001 Chevy Suburban 3/4 ton 8.1L

What are your thoughts on this truck? I am looking to trade my 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 ext. cab with 110,000 miles for one. I'm sure the Burban has high mileage (probably close to 200k). Anything I should look out for? I guess it's an LT with leather loaded. The guy can't afford to drive it cause of gas mileage. Are they really that bad? My truck gets about 12 MPG daily driving, best I've seen highway is 17. I need something bigger to pull my camper with and he is willing to trade. Thoughts??

The guy can't afford to drive it cause of gas mileage. Are they really that bad?

By my standards, they really are that bad. You'll probably average 10 to 12 unloaded, and 8 to 10 when towing. They are a towing "hoss" for sure. I suggest that you tow your camper w/ it before deciding. I have towed with one, and they are great for that purpose. But... a trailer that doesn't handle well behind a 1500 may not behind a 2500 either. Considering your past issues, you should try it, and let us know how it goes :) I have pulled a smaller trailer (~5k lbs) behind one that apparently wasn't balanced very well (enclosed hauler, but I didn't load it). The combo rode quite a bit rougher than my 1500 does w/ a much heavier camper, but it didn't shift down on a grade (nice). To be fair, that smaller trailer would have probably been terrible behind my truck w/o a WD hitch system (none on the 2500 at the time).

I've looked at older 2500 burbs myself over the past few years for the same reason, but I like having a truck. I only tow a few times a year, and wouldn't drive a 8.1L as my DD, so it would mostly just sit.

that doesnt sound like a fair trade, your truck only has 110,000 miles, you would be better off privatley selling it and buying another truck you want with lower miles.

the 8.1 will without a doubt be worse on gas then your 5.3, not to mention that suburb will have a 29 or 30gallon tank whereas your truck has a 24. i have never seen an 8.1 getting more then 12-13

The most you will see in a truck with the 8.1 is around 15mpg. I'm not sure about an SUV.

Can I get that? lol

I see about 10-11 intown and 13's on highway. To the op, somthing to consider if you are looking for a better workhorse. Guaranteed to pull that camper better then a 1/2 ton, but I don't think I would trade, maybe sell and buy. See what both blue book for.

I just picked up an 04 silverado 8.1 with 244,000! Hit the key she fires rite up and runs like a champ.. I did a

seafoam treatment today, cleaned the mass air, and cleaned the trottle body. Hit the pedal and it will put you in the seat just like my 100,000 mile 8.1, I also had an 04 yukon 2500 with a big block and it got 9-13.. 15 on the high

way after the blackbear tune.. They do exactly what the were designed and built to do! If you get it you will love

it,

I am not sure what problems you have experienced with towing, but I do have experience with towing a long travel trailer with a 8.1l suburban. If you are getting the Suburban fuel economy...look for something else. Fuel economy empty will be between 11 and 15...I have a best of 14.5. Towing, I have a worst of 8 and average around 9 to 10, all of this while towing a 36 ft 9000lb travel trailer (some through WV and TN). I have owned and towed with a 01 Silverado and a 04 F150. This Suburban will literally tow twice as much weight with less effort than either of my two previous trucks. It takes a pretty good hill to make it kick out of OD on the highway.On I77 in Virgina and WV, this Sub will pull the long hard grades at 65 mph...maybe 3/4 throttle or less. The wheel base is a little shorter, so I would recommend a good sway control hitch.

I guess the short answer is this is the best tow vehicle I have owned. I need a large SUV for my family and with the 4.10, this Suburban has a greater towing capacity than the excursion with a diesel by 1000lbs. No matter what any one else says, do what makes you happy. You are the one that has to live with the decision!

Good luck!

they 'GM' should have found a way to put the allison in the suv,s..The 4l80/85E is a great tranny but the extra gear

Is helpful.. And the features of staying inn fourth if you want with or without tow/haul mode.

I havent driven an 8.1 Burb, but I have had a 6.0 diesel Excursion. It towed our trailer fine. I loved it. When my friends and I had a mission to do(high school shenanigans) .1 we would pile in it and take care of things. I have driven an 8.1 Sierra 2500HD. It did drive pretty nice

Archived