07 silverado loud noise from bellhousing

spankrz

Question

Truck has 163,000 miles, it is a 07 nnbs silverado 1500 5.3 4l60e. It ran and drove perfectly until yesterday. Under normal driving conditions around 50 mph it started making a very loud knocking noise coming from the bellhousing. Noise is present at idle not moving, and gets worse under acceleration. Runs and drives and seems to shift correctly, but a slight vibration and slightly reduce power. No codes present. What are the possibilities for thease symptoms? Cracked flywheel? Tourque converter loose? Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 answers to this question

good info on that, i am used to the old setups. i set the truck up on jackstands last night but did not get a chance to look at it, too much schoolwork. hopefully within a few hours i will get caught up enough to go out and look at it.

Could be an internal failure in the torque converter, or the pump bushing, or pump itself. Never saw a torque converter fail with a stock engine, but these days anything's possible.

I'll let the guys that work on these new ones take it from here .....

Miss the days when you could just drop the cover and check for that ...

You still can, but you'd have to remove the starter ...

Not a biggie, but was much easier with a cover!

im going to try to pull the cover off tonight to look at it, my main problem is trying to find the time between full-time university classes and running my own business... i am really hopeful that it is something simple like a bolt backing out of the converter because this is my only running vehicle and i am pretty short on cash to make the repairs. if it is anything more then the converter or flywheel needing replaced i will be in a pinch. thanks for the replies and i welcome any more thoughts on the subject.

What I was trying to say above is, there's no cover nowadays - it's one solid chunk of aluminum with the tranny case. You can see a little inspection cover in the pic - that you CAN remove, but it's not the whole cover like in days gone by. Removing the starter provides a better view ... and if the bolts indeed are loose, you'll have to do that to tighten them anyway.

Silveradobellhousingtransmission.jpg

Archived